Friday 22 June 2018

Appointment.

On Wednesday afternoon I returned to the Opticians to have drops put into my right eye to enlarge to pupil. All went according to plan you have the drops then wait for your eye to dilute sufficiently for the Optometrist to examine the rear of your eye. After she had finished she asked me if I had read the leaflet she had given to me the week before and I told her that I had read it. She then let me know that she would be writing to the Hospital so that a further examination of my right eye to see if I was able to have the cataract removed.
 To my surprise the next day. yesterday I had a telephone call inviting me to have my eye examined in Skegness Hospital in early July, so now when I ring my mate up tomorrow I will ask him where the Hospital is.
 I was laying in bed a couple of days ago when I remembered this story. It is true.
 I guess it was early 1973 ish for I was open until 10.00.pm each day. I was standing outside waiting for the floor which I had mopped to dry so that I could put the chairs down prior to going to bed.
 It was in early July and as I stood this old Man came up to me, I guess he was in his 80s. I was still in my 30s. He asked me if I sold any pie tobacco. I replied unfortunately I did not but I sold cigarettes and if he wanted any I would sell him some. He declined then as we stood he started to talk about his life. The first thing he told me was that he worked in London for a wealthy Gentleman who had a car. He went on to say that he was the first person to drive a car in mablethorpe. I guess this was in the first decade in the 20th. century. He told me that his Boss had given him permission to travel from london to Mablethorpe which is about 120 miles. He told me that it was a risky journey but he was young. He added that there were very few petrol stations selling fuel but he managed to find sufficient for him to get to Mablethorpe and eventually back to London. He also told me that many folks came out to see a motor car for the first time.
 He told me a few other things most of which I have forgot but this stayed in my mind. He mentioned as a young boy the telephone was just in it's infancy. He said that he told his Mother that one day people will not only talk to one another over vast distance but they would also see each other. This he told me cause his Mother to clip him around the ear and told him not to talk such rot. He was certainly ahead of his time. I was pleased that I had met him, I never saw him again. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment