Thursday 30 June 2011

Pigeon costs.









As promised, I show my tomatoes in the greenhouse. They are not as good as in previous years but to be candid, I do think I will eventually have more that enough.

The petunia flowers are for Micky. I have several different colours and although a lot of them are small, they are growing and with the recent rain, things are looking reasonable. Today as yesterday we have had several heavy showers. This has helped my wallflowers. To be honest, I set the seeds I saved too early and a few days ago I noticed that some were in bud so I decided to move them from their bed and put them in their final position. I have, by the way, set the last few seed about a week ago and they are showing. So if all goes well, I will have some late wallflowers to plant out.

Now to the title. I picked a few cherries yesterday and gave some to both neighbours. I went round to the neighbour who supplies eggs. She took me to see her garden. It really looks a treat. Everything is looking well although things are set too close together. She has realised this and will not make the same mistake again. I then told her that a blackbird was impersonating her partners' call to get the pigeons in. With that he appeared, he told me that when he lived in Louth, blackbirds did the same. I then asked if there had been racing lately. He told me that last week was a disaster. I think he said they sent 25 birds. Only 9 returned within the next 2 days, He told me that there had been a few more birds arrive but as of now they are 9 birds short. He then told me he had to pay for 1 bird that had strayed to Scotland. It was sent, I think he said by post and the cost was £45. I just said there was no comparison to the 2/6d or half a crown if you wish. I think he was disappointed. Anyway, they are not sending anymore birds until this years birds start to race. Of course they will not be flying so far so costs will be a lot less. The first race is not until the end of July. I think that deep down they are pleased.

By the way, my friend is coming tomorrow, had he not been, I would have had enough runner beans for me to have a taste. Typical, I was only thinking earlier tonight. A couple of weeks ago I had to buy vegetables. Now I have readily available, peas, french beans, runner beans, carrots, cauliflower and in a couple of days marrow. A week or so later I guess there will also be cabbage. Mind you I am not complaining. Cherries are ripening rather slowly and are not as plentiful as in previous years. Finally my first tomatoes are just beginning to ripen. I think they will be ready within the week. More soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment