Friday 1 July 2011

Hard work

Today I went mad, well in the morning I decided to finish off cutting my leylandi down. Yesterday, I did most of it and was shattered. Anyway, my mate was calling later so I started early and managed to get it finished before he came. My waste bin is full to overflowing and I have enough to fill it again. The trouble is that it was only emptied yesterday and it is only emptied fortnightly.
Well my mate called, he bought some wood and he tried to strengthen the rose arch. Next was to adjust my water butt. It was set too high so that it overflowed once it was full. Well with his thoughtfulness, he managed to adjust it so that it is now good. He put a T bar on it and a piece of hose so that I can attach it to another water butt nearby when it needs filling.
We then went and had a drink. We went after that down the garden. I asked him if it would be possible to cut my spare cherry tree down. I call it my spare cherry tree because it has no cover at all and is always being attacked by black fly. Well he looked at it and asked if I had a bow saw. I told him I had, I then went into the garage and showed it to him. He said it would do fine. So mainly him started to cut the tree down. I guess the trunk is about 10" wide. He started at about 11.30am. We were both sweating profusely and at about 12.30pm I said that we would have dinner. We had roast pork. I did the crackling for him so that it was lovely and crispy. With the pork we had new potatoes, french beans and cauliflower. After dinner we then decided to try once again to see if we could get the tree down. After another 20 minutes or so, with us both pulling and pushing, the tree finally gave up and it was down. He admitted he had not done so much work in ages. He certainly burnt off his calories that he had for dinner. After a couple of cups of tea, he finally left.
A little later, I went and cut off the side branches. The next door neighbours son was there. I asked him if he had a chain saw. He told me he had but it was blunt. I told him what I had and if he wished he could have the trunk and cut it up and use it for burning in their stove. He told me that he would come and fetch it tomorrow. We will see. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect I know someone who is a bit sore all over today (July 2nd)!!

    ReplyDelete