Monday 18 July 2011

Miscellaneous



This photo brings memories. As I have told you, my best friend has been in the area. We were discussing our youth so I said I had something that very few people would have seen let alone own. It was what you see. It is a monocular. My Father hardly ever spoke of the War but did once tell me that he got this monocular off a dead Japanese Officer. I know the photo is poor but that is me. He was with Colonel Orde Wingate in Burma, incidentally he worshiped Orde Wingate, as did almost all of his men. He was one of the original Chindits, so called after a mythical beast. It was the only thing he cherished after the War. When he received his medals, he took one look at them, just said that it was not enough reward to receive after giving 6 years of one's life. He never ever looked at them again.

I have given them to my Great Niece. Whether she will look after them is anybodys guess. I think my Sisters have the Chindit flashes which were worn on the arm.

Enough of that. My friend was talking about his move, it will definitely be his last. Since I have known him, that is less than 30 years he has moved, I think 4 times. I told him that I have only moved 4 times in my entire life. I was in a terraced house with no electricity from when I was born to early 1947. We then moved, still on the same estate, to a 3 bedroomed semi with basic electricity. I stayed there until I went into business in late 1968. I stayed there until my lease expired in early 1993. Where upon I moved to where I am now. I do not have any desire to ever move away from here. Whether I will be able to spend the rest of my life here is unknown. I will however try my best.

His wife came a little later to pick him up. The last time he came, I gave some gooseberries for her. She informed me that they were the best gooseberries she had ever tasted. I must see if I can take a photo of them. When ripe they go a deep almost black colour. Today, I gave them some runner beans, marrow and some shallots, also a few broad beans.

Tomorrow, I have to go to the Medical Practice several miles away for a Podiatry assessment. Please do not ask me what it means as I do not know. After tomorrow, I will know more. Am I worried? No, if something is wrong, then so be it. Worrying will make no difference whatsoever.

Finally his wife commented on my cottage garden. She couldn't get over the petunias. They are certainly putting on a good show, she also noted that the cherries were very large. I told her that many years ago, my Mother had a cherry tree. She told me that when they looked ripe, they were not quite ripe and if left on the tree for a few more days, seemed to grow by about 10%. This I have always done. They should be ready in 2 or 3 days. These are the last cherries. Summer Sun they are called. They are about 2 weeks later than Stella. Grapes are beginning to turn a little but are not ready just yet. I think about 1 month at least before they will get a little sweeter. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Heehee... Have I got you beat! I have lived in 20 different residences in 10 different cities - although I have now settled down, having been in my present home for 21 tears. After every one of the 12 moves I made as an adult I swore -Never Again!

    Moving is no fun at all, and it doesn't get easier with experience. But like the typical addict I kept on doing it.

    ReplyDelete