Wednesday 27 July 2011

Conclusion.

I guess it was around 1990 that Ralph lost his wife. Obviously it altered his outlook to life. Mind you he had one more time of frivolity.
It was when Charlie Williams came to turn on the lights. It was the system that some celebrity turned on the lights around the end of July. Most celebrities turned on the lights and did not stay long. Charlie Williams went to the local hotel bar after he turned the lights on. Yes, Ralph was there. I was informed by several locals that it was the best night there had been in the bar for years. Both telling stories to each other. The general opinion was that it was an honourable draw. Ralph popped his head in a few days later and told me that it had been a great night.
Several months later he came in and told me that he had been to the Doctors. The Doctor had sent him for blood tests and the results had come back. The Doctor told him that he was not capable of living on his own. He told him he had anaemia and had to make arrangement to move with his Son. He told me his Son lived in Mareham Le Fen.
I heard nothing more from him and shortly after my lease ran out. It was then that I finished up having a Kiosk for 4 seasons.
I think it was 1995 when Ralph appeared at the Kiosk. It was nice ti see him. He told me that he had been to where I was and noticed that it was different and asked around and found out I was here so he made his way up to see me. He told me that he had come out on a Day centre outing. When he found out where it was he wanted to come.
He told me that he was staying with his Son, he had his own bedroom and they told him he could use the greenhouse to do as he wished. He told me he was growing a few chrysanths but then told me that although they were good to him, it was not like it being your own. I agreed with him. He also told me that he also knew nobody in the village. I could see he was not happy. I just told him that there was no joy in getting old. He readily agreed with me. We changed the subject and talked of old times. He was with me about 2 hours. He was sad when he had to leave, he told me he had enjoyed his time with me and told me he would certainly come again when the next day out was to here. Unfortunately that never happened. I guess this was about 16 years ago. He will at least be reunited with his wife. I have fond memories of Ralph. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment