Thursday 21 July 2011




These are the latest photos from the Greenhouse.

The first shows a cucumber. This is the second one I have had. My Italian friend gave me the plant. It is the best plant I have ever had.

The second is of course the grapes. As one can see, they are beginning to turn black. They will not be ripe for a few weeks yet. The longer I leave them on, the sweeter they become. I have at least 2 dozen bunches, last year I had almost 3 doze. They are still small but I am determined to reduce the bunches of grapes I get. Next year, I will aim for 18 bunches at most, then hopefully the fruit will be larger. Mind you, my Italian's wife commented to me last year that his grapes were small.

Over the years I have made several mistakes. I think the biggest mistake was to buy expensive fruit trees from the Isle of Wight. Most expensive and not the best quality. To be honest, the very best value for money has been at Morrisons Supermarket.
Through trial and error I have found out that the best early new potatoes are Arran Pilot, the best first early peas are Little Marvel and best main crop are Hurst Greenshaft. Early Nantes are very good carrots and Green Windsor broad beans are excellent. Advantage F1 cabbage are good enough for me. As for tomatoes. Gardeners delight are excellent but now I have dentures, not too good. It is the reason I have started to grow plum tomatoes. As I like marrows, I grow courgettes. They will grow into large marrows. Black Beauty is the one I have grown this year. As to leeks, Mussselburgh are reliable. Mind you with the dry early season I did not have a great germination. With beetroot Boltardy are great.

I have just picked the last of the cherries. Summer Sun is the variety. trouble is that the wasps found them and loved them too. Now I have to wait for about 3 weeks for my plums. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment