Wednesday 19 September 2018

Update.

I went to have my appointment for Pre Op. medical. I didn't know exactly where it was but all I knew it was in the area of the Main Hospital.
 I arrived in good time, just as well for it took me ages to find a space to park the car, it was too tiny for most to squeeze in but I managed it. On getting out I noticed an elderly Man walking so I asked him where the eye department was, he told me to follow him for he was going that way. He also told me that today there were no parking charges for the main barrier was open. As we walked he told me that the first thing I had to do was log in but that was not as bad as it seemed for at the machine was a helper who told me what to do. After I had logged in  she then told me to go to the large waiting room and added that I would be on T.V so I should keep an eye on the screen.
 I went into the large waiting room, I guess there were about 100 patients waiting for their appointments, some were walking to the left and others to the right. I wondered which way I should go when eventually my name appeared on the screen, but as I was about 10 minutes early I just watched others go.
 After about 15 minutes, which meant less than 10 minutes after my appointment time I thought among the noise my name and a Nurse was standing there. I went over and she confirmed that she had called my name. She led me towards the exit but turned left and made her way to her consulting room. She first told me that she would ask several questions but I first handed her a copy of my current prescriptions that I was taking. She asked me if she could keep the copy which I told her she was welcome.
 After the questions was a B.P check which she told me was fine, this surprised me but I was happy, she then noticed I was a diabetic so checked my blood sugar which was acceptable. it was less than 10 and she told me that they prefered it to be less than 12. Considering that I had my midday meal and done no work since I was satisfied. I then asked her where she came from. A place called Transylvania a part of Romania to which I then asked her if she would like to make her life here. She was honest and told me that she missed home, which I told her I could understand but she added that it was the climate here for it was damp in the Winter here but home it was cold, snowy but the atmosphere was relatively dry. She then told me that her 2 children was at school here so I asked her if they liked it here, she told me they loved it and spoke better English with no accent at all adding that her Husband was a Surgeon at Pilgrim Hospital in Boston.
 Then it was on to the eye photographs which she commented me on taking the instructions correctly, adding that it was nice not to take several shots because the eye had moved slightly. Then it was taking photos with my spectacles on this was to measure the prescription of the glasses.
 The final thing was to explain how the operation worked and the procedure I was to follow. Firstly she tole me that the main objective was only to improve my distance in sight. After the operation which took about 20 minutes I would be taken to a recovery room but as the Surgeon would be performing several operations he would not come out and inspect the outcome until he had finished his morning surgery. I would probably be invited to go to have the operation either arriving at 7.30.am. or 11.30.am. but it would be about 4 hours later when I would be allowed to go home.
 The final things she told me was that firstly I would report to the main Hospital and make my way to the 2nd. floor and secondly that I would not be able to drive for a few days and preferably not drive until I had gone to her department for analysis which would be about 3 weeks after the surgery.
 So that was that and I made my way back home.
 I don't know if I mentioned it but a couple of weeks ago I went to get my State pension only to find that and I quote. "Due to unforeseen circumstances this Post Office will be closed until further notice." Much more very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment