Friday 6 December 2013

Weather

I went to Grantham to see my Sisters, I noticed as I left the area that the cost of Diesel was 1 42.9p a litre. Anyway I went to Morrison's and managed to get a herring but there was no fresh yeast available. I asked one of the assistants and he went to enquire but soon came back informing me there was none. I told him I would go to the Bakery department to see if they would sell me any. He was not confident I would succeed. I went anyway and was surprised at the reception I received. Not only would the lady supply me but bought a large piece of yeast ans asked me how much I needed. She then proceeded to place the knife at different places on the block and when I said that was fine and she cut the piece off then went to wrap it and price it too. 42p. it cost me so I was thrilled to bits. I then went to fill up at the local ASDA Supermarket there the cost of diesel was 1 33.7p a litre. As I have always done, I converted it to gallons as I was bought up with pints and gallons. Over 40p a gallon more at the local filling station here. How can this be justified? The cost of living in  the Countryside.
 Yesterday I had to go to my Bank in Mablethorpe, it was just a little breezy but the weather was going to get much worse. I was back at home well before 11.00am. Not too long after the winds rose just as the weathermen said. Coastal flooding was forecast for later in the day, well early evening to be more precise. I decided to listen to the Local Radio Station, something I rarely do. From around 6.30pm. there were signs of what was to come. From around 7.00pm. the reports were of several road closures due to Coastal Flooding. One road in particular was the road into Mablethorpe, mind you nothing like the dreadful reports from Boston where the seas had breached some of the sea defences.
 I guess we were lucky here although I am about 2 miles from the sea but the coastal road was closed for a time. I would expect the local Golf Course would have been affected, but what is that compared to the plight of those people in Boston.
 Thank goodness the winds relented so the expected 2nd. flooding on the next high tide did not happen. Still there is much cleaning up to be done. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment