Wednesday 19 November 2014

No eggs

Each morning I let the chickens out around 8.00am and shut them up as soon as it gets dark around 4.30pm.
 It has been generally miserable with little sun and to be honest I am a little disappointed that so far I have not seen an egg and to be honest I now don't expect any. Still they seem pleased to see me. I go each morning around 11.00am to give them some of my wild bird seed as a tit-bit. They certainly gobble it al up. Most afternoons I go again to give them some more.
 The ground is getting very muddy though and I will not be sad when my chores are completed. I think it is early next week when they get back home.
 Last night I was watching T.V. and saw a notice with LR 20. It immediately bought back to me when I first started in Business. As I have informed all who read my blog I started with the local youngsters. I was told that I must have a Juke Box and Pin Table too. This was to attract the teenagers.
 The guy who supplied the Pin Table and Juke Box used to call about once a month to empty them. We worked on a 50% each. They didn't earn me a lot of money. Eventually I got rid of them both but not before I got to know the guy quite well.
 I was informed that he was very good with electronics and had a good education. His Mother was a retired teacher. He might have been good with electronics but was not so good when it came to Business. He came often to see me and thought I was making a fortune. Each time in the Summer months I would be busy. Mind you in the Winter months I did very little.
 Anyway he decided to rent a seaside café/snack bar at the North end of the town. He was fortunate because the gas pipe was being laid to the Thedlethorpe  very near to his café and this lasted for about 18 months.
 To be honest we did get a few workers come for lunch regularly.
 You learnt a lot by just listening. Remember I told you his Mother was a retired Schoolteacher. Well she smoked and to be honest I never saw her without a cigarette in her mouth.
 The workmen would chuckle when talking about (Fagash Lil) this is what the nicknamed her. They would talk among themselves saying they couldn't stand much more of it. Her serving tea with a cigarette in her mouth.
 Needless to say he didn't make much money from that venture.
 Not to be daunted he told me his next foray was to buy a small boat to take holidaymakers on trips out to sea. When I saw the tiny boat I asked him how many would it carry. 4 including the operator which was going to be himself. I didn't like to disappoint him but knew he would never make a go of it.
 On one of his many days on the beach, he drove his estate car on the sand. It was a Volvo. According to customers who came in for lunch. They had been entertained regally. According to those who were there, the tide came in and when the guy tried to move the car, it had settled in the dry sand and could not move. He managed to get several people to help try to get the car shifted but to no avail. The tide got into the cab but he was lucky that the engine was not submerged. It still cost him a lot of money to get it sorted.
 The next thing was to rent a filling station with a repair garage attached.
 I had someone come to see me and he said he looked filthy with his greasy hair and dirty finger nails.
 I didn't see too much more of him and lost contact. A few years later I found out he had passed away. I guess he would have been in his 60s. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment