Monday 24 August 2015

Hot work

Saturday morning my mate rung to see if I still had connection to the Internet, I confirmed that I had and we talked for a few minutes but was interrupted by the door bell ringing. It was the young man from next door coming round to help me with cutting some branches off the Hawthorn trees at the end of my garden so I told my mate that I would have to go and start work.
 It was a terribly hot day and we both worked for well over an hour. It made me smile when the young man asked if we could have a minute. I told him that when we had cleared the branches we had cut, that was all we were doing because I was buggered.
 I guess it was another 30 minutes later we managed to shift the branches and then I called it a day. Both of us were covered in perspiration and I asked him if he wanted any juice. Robinsons Orange with no added sugar. He loves it and soon downed well over 1/2 a litre. He then asked if we could watch T.V. he hoped that the Motor Racing would be on but the start was 1.00pm. for the final placing's for Sunday. Unfortunately he had to go for his dinner at 1.00pm so missed the final practice.
 Sunday was very very windy and heavy rain was forecast for later in the day. True to form it poured down late afternoon and continued for several hours.
 With all the heavy rain we have had recently my runner beans have produced many beans, so much so that I have many extra so this morning I decided to go to a near neighbours to see if she would like any. It is a Lady that occasionally walks her rescue dog passed my place.
 Off I went and knocked on  the door, her Husband opened and I asked him if he would like a few runner beans, obviously I didn't want anything for them. His Wife immediately said she would love some. I also asked if she would like a few tomatoes again the reply was affirmative. He Husband told me that he would give me 6 eggs for the vegetables. I informed him that I didn't need 6 but if he must give me any then 2 would be ample. With that I went back to mine and collected the beans, tomatoes and took also a few shallots. Off I went back and gave them the vegetables, I was then given an egg case with 6 fresh eggs which the Wife ensured me that they were fresh this morning. I told her that she had informed me that she only kept the chickens as pets, she admitted this and told me that she had 2 turkeys that had been rescued. The hens sometimes lay regular but often they don't. I thanked her for the eggs and told her that if I had more vegetables spare I would take them round for the two of them.
 I did managed to take the 2 largest onions up before the rain yesterday and took them into the greenhouse. I have told the young man that he will pose with them to show just how large, or small they are. I guess this will not be for a few days at least. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment