Tuesday 24 November 2015

Geese

A little over a week ago I was out in the garden when I first heard then saw a flock of geese heading south.  Some time later another flock flew by just as the neighbour next door was hanging out her washing. I told her that this was a sign of wild weather to come. She asked me how I came to that decision, I then told her that many years ago my late Mother had told me this tale and nearly every time a few days later the weather turned nasty.
 This happened to be true as a couple of days later we had severe storms, not that it affected us too much but on Friday night into Saturday morning it was dreadful. I noticed that there was damage to next door's fencing panels, one which seems to be non repairable. While the guy was here repairing my computer we had the first snow for well over a year. Last year was the mildest I have ever known with no snow at all. It came down heavy for a while, so much so that he asked me if he would be able to get back home. I assured him that it would have stopped by the time he came to leave.
 Mentioning my Mother also brings to mind this true story.
 We were poor and my Mother always used to say. "I don't care who hears this but nobody was more hard up than me".  Mind you when I mentioned it to folks  in front of her many years later she would request me to be quiet.
 This is one of her stories. She said they had to save everything they could and a treat was to go to the local Fish Shop and ask if they had any yesterday's fish they had not sold. Sometimes they would and if this was so she would buy a piece of yesterdays fried fish for a penny. She  would then heat it up in the oven and she told me it was beautiful.
 I decided to try this. I don't know if I mentioned this but the young lass who serves me in the local Newsagents told me she works in the fish shop on a Saturday. Anyway I decided to go and get a piece of Cod, no chips as I am getting like my late Father about 4 chips would suffice. Anyway when I did get the fish it was far too large for me so last Friday I went to the fish shop and ordered a Cod. I would have gone on Saturday but the man was due to repair my computer and it's sod's law that if one goes out one misses a call.
 Well I cut the fish into 2/3 1/3 pieces and ate the first large portion. I then left the other on a tray.
 Saturday morning I prepared my dinner with potatoes and vegetables with the fish being the substitute for my meat.
 I put the fish in a hottish oven for about 15 minutes while I cooked the vegetables. The outcome was that it was not bad at all and I could understand why my Mother enjoyed it so much.
  Finally for now, I went to call on the repair man in Mablethorpe for I wished to ask his advice but unfortunately he was not ope, it was quite early around 9.45am. and it was dull and rainy, so I will call again on Thursday or friday after having my haircut.
 I must admit that most shops seem to have an open time of 10.00am. and that is during the Summer months too. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment