Monday 30 November 2015

A new computer

Let us hope that this computer will last for quite a while and that my problems are a thing of the past.
 I went to the computer shop originally to ask him if I had selected a computer that was suitable, he told me that he had one, more or less the same specifications for a little less in price. I asked him if he would install it for me with the same sort of additions that he had put on the old one with the inclusion of a strong anti virus system. He asked me when I would be thinking of having it installed. I told him as soon as possible so he toldme that he would be at mine the next day.
Saturday arrived and I did my washing as the forecast was decent and the sun was shining. Around 10.00 am. the clouds rolled in and I went to put a jumper on the central heating radiator when I noticed that the man was pulling in on my drive so I opened the door for him.
  Anyway he bought the new computer in and asked if I could take the plug out of the socket which I did. He had suffered form Polio as a young child.
 A little while later my mate rang up to see if I had any news. The computer man had just told me that he was having difficulty connecting  to the Ethernet but I needn't worry as he would get connected. While my mate was on he informed me he was now connected to the Internet. I gave my mate the news and he rung off.
 the man then started to install many programmes and told me that because I had a slow internet connection it was going to take some time.
 After an hour or so he told me that we had to wait patiently as my connection speed was not good. 1.9 megabits.
  He started to talk about his life and how he came into computing. He had started out as a professional musician and had his own band. He then went on that he had met quite a few celebrities and in general they were very nice people. He told me of a guy who had been on T.V. the Comedians and that he was also a good singer. He said that his band used to accompany him when he sang but he always started off with jokes and his theme was the same, it was about his young days at home.
 I then told him that I had done my washing that morning and I had started to dry the clothes on my radiators.
  I then stated to him the wash day was all day, not exactly true but it took many hours. I thought he would know a little more about how it was because he is not young, I guess  20 years or so  younger than me. Anyway I went on to tell him that Monday was always washing day. It didn't matter what the weather was it was so. I told him that my Father used to light the gas copper up at 7.00 am when he was about to leave for work. The working week had just been reduced from 48 hours to 44. 1 hour was spent for lunch and 15 minutes was taken for tea morning and afternoon so one was at work for 9 hours 30 minutes as it wasn't convenient for him to come home at lunch(dinner) he had his warmed up later when he got home around 5.30 pm.
  My Mother would get up and made sure us kids were up. As Sunday was bath day we had clean underwear and clothes to wear. It was our job to take the bottom sheet off the bed together with the pillow case and take them down stairs. The common practice was then my Mother would put the top sheet onto the bottom and have a clean sheet and pillow case to make the bed up.
 I tiod him that it was common for everyone to wear their clothes for a week, hence there was always a shirt which were without fitted collars. They had detatchable collars which fitted with a stud at the back of the neck. When one bought a shirt quite often there would be 2 detachable collars with the shirt.
 My Mother would sort out the whites from the coloureds. Whites were in general, white shirts, bedding, pyjamas, towels, tea towels and those sorts of things. They were put into the copper with a good helping of Persil, bought to boil and left to boil for about 20 minutes. While that was boiling it was our job to half fill the dolly tub, a big tub to put the boiled clothes in to rinse. Needless to say the water we put in the dolly was cold. It was then that the dolly peg was used. I was used to rinse the boiled whites, it was hard work and after that it was to mangle the wet clothes. I wish I had a £1 for every time I trapped my Mother's hand for going to fast turning the mangle handle.
 After this was done, it was pegging out the washing. While that was going on we had to empty the copper and refill it so that the fresh water would be quite hot. The dolly tub was also emptied and the clean hot water was poured into the dolly tub. Then in went the coloureds and in went the soap powder. Rinso this time. It was always Persil for whites and Rinso for coloureds. It was like that for years. It was then time to work like mad with the dolly peg to make sure that the movement was good enough to clean the coloureds.
 The last job which generally happened around 2.00 pm. was to swill and clean the back yard with  the water so that everything was as clean as possible.
 I was surprised that he didn't know too much about this so that is why I am writing this down, just in case some youngish person reads my blog. This is exactly how it was and almost all of us working class youngsters went through this episode each week. When we was on holiday we had, naturally to help my Mother as it must have been hard work for her, especially as there were 4 of us children. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment