Tuesday 1 December 2015

Some more

While the computer man was here he also told me something of his life. He first told me that he had been a professional musician and had his own dance band but over the years he said that he was fed up with being away from home for so long that he finally decided to quit. I thought but didn't say anything but wondered if it wasn't his wife that suggested it to him. He did say that he was missing the children growing up. He told me that he started to renovate old furniture but decided after a while it wasn't for him. He did say that he had done all the accounts for his band and also he was treasurer of a consortium of musicians so he had an idea of computer work.
 He said that he was at a Computer show in I think Peterborough and saw a lovely computer but it was marked up at £1300. This was in the mid 90s. His Wife asked him if he would like it and once he said yes she got it for him. He reminded me that the hard drive was just 250 megabits but then I told him that the download speed was just 56 kbs.
 He then studdied the workings of the computer daily working until 4.00 am to 5.00.am. daily until he finally had confidence to advertise that he could repair computers.
 He told me that working from home was great, soon after his Son went to College but he didn't enjoy it and asked him if he could help him. So he decided to get a shop and this is how he really started.
 It was a pleasure meeting him.
  Now a little about what has gone on in my garden.
 Last week I finished the last marrow which lasted me until the last week in November, well pleased with that. After the first frosts this winter it left my tomatoes looking poor. The plum tomatoes have more or less gone and I have pulled all up except one. The cherry tomatoes have a few on but whether they will grow enough for me to ripen them inside I very much doubt it but I do have a dozen or so ripening inside already.
 On a less positive note my eating apples have not fared well. I should think I have had to oust about 24 apples so far. I only hope that this was due to the mild and generally muggy early November, only time t
will tell. Even if most of them have to be slung away I will have had more to eat than last year. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment