Monday 14 December 2015

A meal

Late on Friday night the carer from next door came to tell me that they were going to Spalding, something to do with pigeons and that they would have to leave at 10.15 am. in the morning. I told her that it would not be a problem as young Tim could come round earlier. That pleased her and off she went.
 Saturday morning soon after 10.00 am. the young man rung the doorbell and we then went out to the garage to get the compost out of the car and ready to take it round the rear to the polytunnel and greenhouse.
 Soon after we started he noticed they were on their way to Spalding. I got him to take the bags of compost in a wheelbarrow round tio where I wanted them. I then had him take about 3" off the top to remove some of the old compost. While he was doing that I was preparing the soil so that I could empty the new compost. It took about an hour or so to get the job done so in we went.
 I had asked him prior to him coming round what he wished to have. Steak pie was his answer. I asked him what vegetables he would wish. I named about 6 different vegetables, he chose frozen peas and my frozen broad beans. I had made the steak pie earlier and when he saw it he remarked that it looked nice. It had been made but not obviously cooked. I then suggested that although he had requested blackberry and apple crumble perhaps a blackberry and apple sponge would be nice for a change. I then proceeded to tell him how I was going to make it and he seemed happy with the suggestion.
 I had already part cooked the blackberries and apples in the microwave earlier so they had cooled down.
 I proceeded to mix a little sugar with margarine, creaming them until they were almost white, in went 2 large eggs which I beat well in. All the time showing him what I was doing. I added a pinch of salt and finally the flour. When I poured the liquid on top of the blackberry and apples I told him that it would rise a lot while it was cooking. I then let him taste the stuff left in the bowl, we used to love cleaning the bowl with our fingers when my Mother cooked something similar. He enjoyed the taste.
 I then lit the oven and about 15 minutes later put the apple sponge in to cook. I also lit the top oven and again about 15 minutes later put the steak pie in to cook. On went the potatoes and vegetables to boil, I had to get some gravy ready as he loves gravy and I try to make tasty gravy with saved meat juices.
  The first thing to finish cooking was the apple sponge, around half way I told him to look through the glass door to see how much the sponge had risen. He was amazed, I don't suppose anyone else has shown him this sort of cooking. I told him that I had done this earlier as I didn't want the sponge too hot to eat. I knew it would stay reasonably hot for about an hour.
 It then came time to take up the potatoes and vegetables, first I took the steak pie out of the oven, leaving it to rest for 5 minutes. I strained the vegetables and put on the gravy. I cut the pie up to the size he wanted, put the potatoes and vegetables on the plates and poured the gravy which was now ready on to where he wished it.
 Once we had eaten the dinner I then made some custard, mainly for him and while the milk was boiling I gave a generous portion on his pudding dish, I also had a generous portion, incidentally it was still hot, jut hot enough to eat without burning one's mouth.
 Once he had finished he told me had enjoyed it very much and it had been very tasty.
  While I had been busy taking things up he had taken a photo of the steak pie and the sponge. He later told me he showed it to his carer.
 By the time we had finished it was well after 2.00 pm. and we had a cup of coffee and went in to watch T.V and wait for his carer to get back. I told him that it would not be for some time but he seemed happy as he calls my place his second home.
  To keep him occupied is not easy so we went on to Sky and watched the football scores as they came in. He had a text saying they had just left Spalding. I then told him I guessed that they would not be back soon and I thought it would be soon after 4.30 pm. Around 4.45 pm. they text him to tell him they were in the village so soon after I told him to gather his things as they would be home by the time he was ready to leave. He then told me he would not need much to eat after what he had eaten today and he had enjoyed it a lot here with me. With that I took him round just as they were getting out of the car, they did apologise for being so long but I told them there was no problem at all as he had enjoyed himself.
 I was pleased to see him go though as it seems to take it out of me whenever I have someone for a meal. Guess it is called getting old. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment