Thursday 10 December 2015

Sirloin

Last Thursday I went to Grantham to see my Sisters, before I called to see them I went to Morrison's for some every day stuff also I wanted some Sirloin of beef for my New year's dinner. I already had my Christmas meal sorted it is Roast Duckling.
 I looked for some sirloin but none was for sale, soon after a Woman filling up the shelves with fresh packed meat so I asked her. She checked but couldn't see any but then the Butcher came along. She asked him if he had any sirloin and he told her he had. I then asked him if I could have a joint, he said there was no problem and went into the rear, came back with a sirloin that was vacuum packed. He put it on the scales and told me that would be around £80 and then asked me how much I would like. I said almost 30% so he cut off a piece and asked me if I would like it tied up. He weighed it before he tied it all up and it came to less than £25. It looked nice and I thanked him and went on my way.
 This Tuesday I went to Lidl and picked up a leaflet for the offers starting Thursday this week(today). I just glanced at it but yesterday looked at it properly. To my surprise on offer was a sirloin joint which was rubbed with horseradish and mustard. The price was £19 .99p.  a kilo. I then got my magnifying glass out and I noticed that the sirloin had what is called the skirt on. That is the piece which  is attached to the sirloin. People of my age and older would know this as when one wanted some stewing beef, occasionally one would ask for skirt. In general it was skirt and kidney. Now days it is generally shin of beef for stewing beef. This I thought was plenty for Lidl to charge especially as it included the skirt. The one I bought from Morrison's was primary for sirloin steaks. So what I did next was to check the price per kilo for the sirloin at Morrison's. I was  pleasantly surprised that I was charged £17. 99p a kilo. If I want any fresh sirloins I will definitely go to Morrison's for some. On the way back home I went to the Garden Centre for some compost. I had arranged it that the young man from next door would call round and help me with lifting the compost into the greenhouse and polytunnel. He would then stop for his dinner.
 After going to Grantham I am always tired, I presume that it is because I get up around 7.00am. and when I get back home I have to then get something to eat so Friday I took it easy so that I could prepare for Saturday. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment