Thursday 21 July 2016

Definitely wilting

On Monday afternoon the lad from next door came to see me, he wished me to look at his broad beans so off we went round to his place.
 It is sheltered from the winds and it was hot. I finished up doing most of the weeding and sorting out myself although he is very willing. The broad beans are looking very well and within a week will be ready for the pot.
 before we went round I dug up a couple of potatoes that I had given him, mind you he did absolutely nothing since I showed him how to plant them. He was excited at seeing the potatoes and his carer thanked me for giving them to her. I informed her that it was the lad's potatoes and there were a couple more in the ground.
 To be honest, I didn't know what to expect as the ones I set at Easter had been very poor, a vast majority had been attacked by eel worm also several had rotted in the ground as my garden had been flooded several times.
 Anyway when I eventually returned home I was absolutely shattered.
  The next day which was Tuesday it was even hotter. I looked at my indoor and outdoor thermometer, the outside was showing at 11. 30.am. 29c. I immediately thought of my American friend who has these sorts of temperatures regular. I couldn't keep cool and it was not much better overnight.
 yesterday, Wednesday my Sister and her Husband came to see me, she told me it was too hot for them although there was a sea breeze blowing and at that time it was not too hot. they stayed for about 90 minutes then made their way back to Skegness where they were staying.
 I had decided in advance to have a salad so when they left I prepared my salad. I noticed that the wind had dropped but it had cloudied over but it turned very muggy. The sweat was pouring off me so I had another look at my thermometer. It read 29.6c. How people can stand the hot weather baffles me. I am absolutely drained of energy.
 The good thing is, I am getting a few fresh vegetables namely broad beans, climbing french beans, the odd cauliflower a few runner beans and some peas. In the greenhouse I have had a couple of plum tomatoes so I guess some good has come out of this oppressive weather. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment