Monday 25 July 2016

Not all a success

As you can see, not all is great in my garden this year. On the plus side I am picking runner beans every day, also having plenty of climbing french beans although they are beginning to become  less frequent. I have done well for broad beans which is a surprise as the severe gales we had for a week over Spring Bank Holiday knocked them back. My peas have done reasonably well and one of my marrow plants is producing plenty of small marrows which I can use if I so desire as courgettes. The other marrow plant is not good at all, it seems to be completely different although both seeds came from the same packet.
 As for the new potatoes which I set on Good Friday, the traditional day for planting potato tubers. Unfortunately for several weeks after planting the weather here was dreadful with my garden being under water for several weeks. With this in mind, the first time with the weather staying fine for a while I decided to lift the potatoes up. Toe be honest I expected to have a few rot in the ground and also expected some to be eaten by eel worm(slugs) but I didn't expect the extent of the damage that was done especially as the plot which I set the potatoes is a raised bed so it should have been a lot less waterlogged.
 If one enlarges the photo which shows the potatoes worth saving it shows almost all of the potatoes were damaged to a minor or major extent.
 I do have some main crop potatoes which if all goes well will leave them in the ground for a month with the hope that they will store well.
 In the greenhouse I am picking the odd tomato, I was surprised because I watched a little of Gardener's World and the presenter  Monty Donn stated that although he hadn't got any tomatoes ripe yet he would soon have some ready. So I beat him. My garden soil is dreadful as it is compacted I guess I will rotovate it in the Autumn and see what happens. I guess I will have to add some compost to improve the soil. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment