Thursday 26 January 2017

Back to school

It was a custom that on the last Friday of each month when at school, they had a Cross Country run. It was well organised because after the afternoon break, the runners were set off in classes. Therefore the first year students were sent off about 5 minutes before the second year and so on. This was done so that approximately most of the students would arrive back more or less the same time. those that were excused or had a medical certificate exempting them had to be as markers. They were strategically placed in certain areas counting the runners as they went by. This was done as to stop ant runner deciding to make a short cut.
 there were no prizes for coming first, incidentally I never came in the top 10 but the prize was that after getting back and reporting to the teacher in charge who ticked the box to confirm you had arrived then you could go home. This meant that the swiftest of runners would leave school some 20 or so minutes early.
 Since I moved to the seaside I did notice that the local Grammar School had some sort of system working because when I went in to Alford, occasionally I would see a few lads making their way back to the School.
 Things passed by and at the age of 14 we had the Careers officer come to see us to find out what we intended to do when we left School. To be honest it would never happen now. The Careers Officer suggested to us that we consider leaving School at 15 to help with the income as most Families were still struggling after the war. I think there was only 2 that decided to stay on for O levels. If one passed then one had to go to the local Grammar School for 2 more years to sit their A levels. This meant one would be 18 before they left School.
 It must be remembered that there was still rationing at that time, sweets wer a main thing that was a bind. I think it was in 1951 that sweets were off ration but there were queus at the sweet shops and most confectioners ran out of sweets. The Government immediately put sweets on ration again. This lasted only for a few weeks. Once it was lifted again there were plenty of sweets to go round.
 I left School at 15 and decided to have a week off before I started work. When my Mother found out she was furious but I didn't mind for I knew that I would be working for many years.
 As soon as I was 16 on the Railway they had a certain dispensation that allowed 16 year olds to work all hours God sent. this meant that I would have to have fresh milk. Prior to that it was the custom especially in the warmer months to finish off the milk last thing at night. The Milkman used to call in early morning. NOt early enough if I was on duty at say 5.00am. so my Mother had to buy a fridge a gas fridge. It turned out to be a great fridge although very small compared to the sizes today. I know it was bought down to the Seaside in 1970, it was bought in early 1953. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment