Tuesday 20 December 2011

New T V.?

Last week I decided to invest in a new television. I have an old T.V which is a 36" very heavy one which a few years ago was the bees knees.
I saw a cheap television on Comet web. I decided to ring them up and ask if my old T.V could be taken away and disposed for £.9.99p. I informed them it was heavy around 70kgs. over a cwt and a half. The guy told me that there would be no problem.
Anyway I decided to have a free delivery which meant Monday this week. delivery between 8.00am. and 6.00pm.
As expected it was late afternoon when they arrived, about 3.45pm. They took the old T.V away and I decided to set it up myself. As a rule my mate does all of this for me but as I have mentioned before, his Mother is poorly and to be honest I don't expect him here again until she leaves this world.
Well I got it out of the box and started to assemble the stand. By now it was dark and I have energy saving lamps. Mind you tungsten bulbs are no longer stocked as it is illegal for stockists to purchase new stock, but are allowed to sell any existing stock.
Well as the energy saving lights are not as bright and I have cataracts in both eyes, it took a few minutes to get the stand fitted. I eventually managed it though. So now to fitting the cable and putting batteries in the remote control. So to plugging it in and getting power to the T.V. reading the instructions it told me that the T.V would be in standby mode and I was to press the red button on the remote control.
Well I was surprised because it worked, power was suddenly turned on and the T.V went into auto set up. I thought at first nothing was happening but as it worked the bandwidth it started to find plenty of channels and indicated that the reception was good. After a few minutes a message came on screen that congratulated me and that the T.V was now sat up and I was prompted to press the O.K then exit button. This I did. Suddenly there was I think BBC 1. the sound suddenly came to life and quickly went to the maximum, it was deafening but after a few seconds then went all the way back to 0 so no sound at all. I tried to increase the sound manually but each time I stopped the sound would reset to 0. I then pressed menu. Well it was like watching a one armed jackpot with the wheels spinning. The menu was going so fast I could not count how many options there were.
There was a helpline telephone number so I rung that. It was the manufacturers number. After being on hold for about 20 minutes I get through and told the operator what trouble I was having. All I was told is that it was faulty and should ask the seller to swap it for another new T.V.
Now the trouble starts. After contacting several departments of Comet, I eventually ended up in the Technical Department. A nice enough young man spoke to me but by now I had just about had enough. I must have been on the phone for at least 30 minutes. I told him that this was the last time I was going to be moved. He told me he understood.
I then went on to explain that I had bought a T.V and it was delivered that day but it was faulty. I think they do believe they are talking to cretins. He asked me to switch on and then try to adjust the sound. As always it didn't work. He told me to take the batteries out of the remote then go into the menu. Of course it was going mad. He then told me that the T.V was faulty. I just told him not to tell me things that I already knew.
What he then said next was unbelievable. His words were more or less. just pop it back to the store and they will replace it with a new one. I stopped him. I told him in no uncertain terms that I had no intention of taking it anywhere. It was delivered to me and I told him that I was prepared to give him 3 options. The first was to get an engineer out to try to repair it, the second was to send out a replacement and the third was a full refund. He then said he would have a word with his manager. Another 5 minutes waiting. The last words from him was that he would do his best for me. I gave him my telephone number and told him not to contact me in the morning as was going to Hospital. Needless to say I have heard nothing.
I live about 30 miles from the nearest Comet Store/warehouse so there is no way I am going to take a television to swap.
Tomorrow I will e-mail them requesting that the e-mail is forwarded to the MD. I will also demand a reply that my request has been done. If not then there will be trouble. All I want now is a full refund. I just can't believe how stupid these people are. They obviously live very near to a Comet Store. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment