Monday 5 November 2012

Getting ready for winter

Over the last few days I have been getting ready for the winter months.
 On November 2nd. I had my last meal of runner beans. Not bad considering I had my first meal on July 15th. Well over 3 months of runner beans. To be honest, for many days I have had 2 meals of runner beans as they have lots of iron and because of some of my medication I am low in iron.
  Today I dug in some leaves where next year I will be setting my runner beans. The ground was too wet really to do this job but I managed to do one side. By the way, I have this year set a couple of plants in my polytunnel and also 2 plants are in pots in my greenhouse.  These are what I dug up. They were this years producing plants so I hope they will be alright.It was my Italian friend who told me that they could be kept over winter if protected from frosts. I will of course also set some seeds in late April just in case the frosts kill the plants.
 From now on until next spring I will have to do with what I have in my polytunnel and a few leeks outside. Mind you those leeks are very poor. I do have plenty of carrots, a few cabbages also the odd cauliflower so I guess I will be buying some vegetables soon after Christmas.
 My central heating has been on regular these last few days, here it has been cold also wet and generally dull. Today we did see a fair amount of sun though. Still got the odd shower to remind us that winter is approaching. Getting dark early now, will only get wiorse for the next 6 weeks.
 Bonfire night went off as usual with little or no fireworks. I guess I heard about 6 bangers and didn't see a rocket or anthing like that. I know that tonight is bonfire night. Will let you know if there is any firewoks. There is a house a few doors away with children. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment