Tuesday 11 December 2012

Wonders of wonders

Yes! It has happened, the scaffolding has finally been removed. It was removed on Saturday morning.
 Today I saw the Postman , the first time in a while and he was delivering to next door. He commented on the scaffolding gone eventually and the man  next door told him that the scaffolders refused to remove it because they hadn't been paid for the job. All I know is that it was up there for almost a month. I told him I thought they were leaving it up so that Santa could get down his chimney easier. They do have some decorations outside and I think the youngest is in his 40s.
 I told the Postman that during is leave of absense mail was very late. He then told me that he had 10 days hol;iday then another 10 days with a bad back. I shall make no comment only to say when I was in business I often had a bad back but still had to carry on.
 I went to see my friend in Mablethorpe and took him some more DVDs of Railwayana. He gave me a Railway periodical to read but I did tell him that it would almost certainly be next year before I see him again.
 I think I did mention it on how we got to meet. I was wearing my old Railway overalls and he asked me if I had been on the footplate, a terminology to know that you was on steam engines. I told him I was and told him that I had a serge jacket and overcoat which I would wear to show him. The other week I wore the serge jacket for the first time ever. Great when you think it must be nearing 50 years old and it fits well. Today as it was cold I decided to wear my Lambing Gown. This was commonly known as the Overcoat. It weighed a ton and when they got wet it was not easy to walk and a sod when wet to get dry. I did take it off for him to handle and he was suirprised just how heavy it was. I must admit that the overcoat now seems a little on the lage size.
  I told him that I could now understand my late Mother. She had bought a sheepskin coat. They were generally 3/4 length but quite heavy. I guess she only wore it less than 10 times in a couple of years, eventually she told my Sisters that it was just too heavy for her to wear and they must take it to the loacl charity shop. What a bargain for somebody working there. I am sure that it would never go on display for sale. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment