Monday 24 December 2012

More rain

This morning I went to the local supermarket to get a few odds and ends. It was raining and although the fields in general are standing in lots of water, we here have been very lucky. Let us hope that 2013 will be a little kinder to those who have been flooded.
 I had a phone call the other day. He called me by my name  and told me it was Mike. It certainly didn't ring a bell to me so I asked him who he was. He told me he lived next door to me. After going on  for a few minutes I asked him how he had my telephone number as I was Ex. Directory. He seemed taken aback and then asked me if I lived in the next village. I told him he had unfortunately got the wrong number. He of course was full of apologies but I told him not to worry and have a nice Christmas.
 On a quite different subject. I am not mad on football but the other night on Match of the Day on BBC the pundits highlighted an Everton player who physically abused a fellow player. He not only head butted him but hit him in the face, it was not clear if it was by the flat of his hand or  a punch. The pundits suggested he was in serious trouble and could expect a 6 match ban. Incidentally the referee missed each offence. The player who offended immediately apologised for the wrong doings. I don't suppose he would have done so if the evidence was not caught on camera. The outcome was a 3 match ban.
 This got me thinking, several months ago a Liverpool player was banned for 8 matches for using racist language to a Manchester United player although the language he used was not considered racist in his own Country.
 My thought were, first the player who was offened should grow up, secondly the FA should get their punishment in perspective. We were always taught that. "Sticks and stones may break my bones but calling never hurts me". The FA seem to think that calling hurts more that physical abuse. I think the world has gone completely mad.
 Finally may I wish all who bother to read this blog a Peaceful Christmas.
 I will have a few days break from writing my blog. More not so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment