Tuesday 12 March 2013

A delay

Last night I was about to go online and write a few lines when the phone rang. It was my Best Pal who has a caravan at a site nearby. He wanted to know what the weather was like as the site opens this week end. Well I think it is this week end. I told him that the winds were gale force off the sea and it was bitter cold, I told him that this year we have not had one day where the temperature had exceeded 7c. I can't remember the last time that I had no daffodils out by the middle of March and the weather men are suggesting that there is no real improvement for the next week or so. I suppose Spring will eventually arrive.
 It was seeing fruit, well damsons to be honest that took me back to the days when we were all at home 6 of us 4 children and parents.
 My Mother would make a damson pie in a pie dish. What she used to keep the pastry away from the damsons was an old fish paste jar. These stood about 3" high and it was placed in the centre of the pie dish and held the pastry up.
 The most exciting part of the pie was counting the stone from the damsons. My Mother would often state the two sayings. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor, Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Thief. She would tell us that if we had the stones that counted to the professions then that would be what we would turn out to be. How we loved to get 5 stones or 10 then it would mean we would be rich when we grew up.
My Mother used to also quote the other saying. This year, Next year, Sometime, Never. This was supposed to be when one was to marry.
 Isn't it funny how ones mind travels back to ones childhood. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment