Friday 6 September 2013

Conclusion

I went to Blackpool the following year and first thing on the Monday morning went to see my watchmaker friend.
As always he was pleased to see me and immediately informed me that tomorrow he would take me for dinner(lunch)to the Polish RAF. Association. He told me that a few friends started this up soon after the war.
I did mention that he came over a wealthy man with lots of sovereigns but he told me that over the ensuing years he helped less fortunate Polish immigrants and that he had nothing left.
 He had originally bought a house in Blackpool but as he had married a Woman from Bolton, they had their home there. He told me he sold his house cheaply to a fellow Polish guy, now he told me he was renting a room from Monday to Friday
going to Bolton for the week end.
 Anyway the next day he closed his shop early and off we went to this place. He pulled into the car park and parked it on a reserved place. We went to the door and a doorman was there sat just before the main entrance. Immediately he saw Josef, he stood up and called him Sir. Josef just informed him that I was his guest, the doorman let us in.
 As soon as he entered the room, there were about 4 people come to make a fuss of him. I was amazed at the place. It was beautiful. there seemed to be a sort of platform at one end on either side were 2 huge propellers, Josef told me which plane they were off but I must confess I forgot.
 there was a man who came in, Josef told me that this was his Landlord and he wanted to have a word. They spoke in Polish but eventually it was English so that I could understand. This man was a cabinet maker and he was making a case for this carriage clock and Josef told me that he had been making this for about 3 years, however it was almost complete.. He had a few men come to him but he told them all that I was his guest and he didn't wish to be disturbed.
 One of them told him that it was such a long time since he had been there and he wished to discuss things with him but he waved him away.
When it came to dinner he asked me if I liked Sauerkraut, I told him I had never tasted it, he told me not to worry as I would like it. he was correct it was nice.
 They started to serve dinner, the queue was forming at the table where the freshly cooked meal was being served. We, however just walked up to the platform. There was a table with about 8 chairs facing the auditorium. He told me to sit down and almost immediately a waiter came and showed him the menu for that lunch time.
He ordered for both of us and immediately told me that I was not allowed to spend anything as this was a Private club for Polish only but allowing to bring in an occasional guest.
  I can't remember what we had but it was very nice.
 On the way back he told me that he was a Founder Member and to be honest it was mainly because of him that the place was built.
 When he got back he got a photo album out and proceeded to show me Warsaw. He then told me that the place was just rubble but over the next 15 years they rebuilt the whole of Warsaw to as much of originality as possible. It looked fantastic.
 He then turned over a page and he told me that this showed Warsaw University and he pointed out a young man about my age or a little older. He just said that this was his Son who was a Professor at the University. He didn't dwell on it and I didn't pursue the matter.
 Over the coming days he told me more. On one occasion he told me that the Police would come to fetch him in the days after the war to act as an interpreter when some of the foreign people were up in court. He told me he could speak a little German, Russian and I think Lithuanian.
He told me that the following year he would have for me a skeleton clock.
 Unfortunately the following year, just before I was due to go on holiday my Father died. I never went there again.
P.S. We had a family. my Father used to call the Mother the Doll, this was because she never had a hair  out of place. She married a Polish man and she used to tell my Father how bad it was there in Poland, they couldn't get hold of soap and razor blades. Each year she used to send a parcel to his relatives stating that they were not allowed to visit them as it was forbidden.
 Finally this episode in my life was bought back to mind by a T.V programme stating that Warsaw was completely rebuilt after the war back to it's original features More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment