Friday 27 September 2013

Near the end

This week has been nice and dry, sometimes very dull but not cold.
 My routine was to let the chickens out around 7.30am. Go and check them later about 11.00am. again check and see if there were eggs around 3.00pm. then shut them in when it grew dark.
 The first day I waited for a while until all except one had roosted. My mate told me that I should wait until dark, then go and shut them in as all would then be in their boxes. It turned out to be true.
 A couple of days ago I decided to take some of my bird seed to see if they would like it. Not much, they mobbed me and hungrily tucked into the different food.
 Now as soon as they see me coming they all gather round the entrance knowing that I would bring some more goodies for them.
 Yesterday I was surprised to see that the water trough was empty. I was informed that there was sufficient water to last them but that was not the case.
 As I didn't know how it worked I was a little while working out just how to get water in the trough.
 I eventually managed to work it out, not properly though but there was water for them. They certainly needed a drink and all gathered round the trough and had their fill.
 This morning I looked and there was enough water but not a great amount. I thought I would check after dinner and make sure enough water was there for the chickens.
 I went and was surprised to see that the tank had been filled, just as I had, the water was running out of the tank, just as it did for me.
 It would he his Parents because when I last saw them on Wednesday they told me that it would be Friday when they would be here next. It was in the afternoon on Wednesday that they called. I was talking to the chickens and giving them the first taste of my bird seed. It was the Mother who spoke to me saying that she wondered where speech was coming from. Yes it was me talking to the chickens. We had quite a long talk and they travelled about 20 miles to feed the pigeons.
 I hope they appreciate what we have done for them. To be honest I certainly don't mind letting them out and feeding them. Shutting them up is not as attractive though. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment