Tuesday 3 September 2013

Early holiday

When I first went into Business at the end of the second year, my Parents insisted that I went away for a week so as to get a break from my work.
 I decided to go to Blackpool, although where I was on the East Coast, the Season had done, Blackpool was still busy.
 I decided to have a walk and discover some parts of Blackpool. I walked for miles, one day I found a Sweet Factory, I thought next time I get this way I will ask them to show me round. however I never did get that way again.
 Walking back into the town down Church Street. I think that was the name, I noticed a Watchmakers and Jewellers shop. I decided to enter and look round.
 To be honest it was a dingy looking shop and rather uninviting. An elderly gentleman came to see me and he took to me straight away. I told him that I could not stay too long as I had to go back to my Hotel for  my meal. He asked me to come back the next day to see him. I readily agreed  so off I went.
 The next day he was waiting for me and told me he was pleased that I had come back to see him. He showed me some of the clocks he had built and started to talk of his life in Blackpool. It was obvious that he had not been born in the U.K. for he had  a foreign accent.
 He told me that he had come from Poland and would tell me all about it one day.
 Unfortunately for me it was my last day in Blackpool and I told him so, but I did say to him that the following year I would come back and see him.
 He said he understood and was sorry I would not be there again this year. It was 1971.
 The following year, true to my word I went to his shop first thing on the Monday morning so I had the rest of the week available. He was once again happy to see me. After talking for an hour or so, he suggested that we go upstairs to his workshop and have a drink of coffee. I was amazed at the amount of old clocks he had there. He then started to talk of how he came to live in Blackpool.
 What a fascinating story it turned out to be.
 He told me that he was born in Poland with wealthy Parents. His Grandfather was a watch maker and he wanted to follow in his footsteps but his Father forbid this stating that when he was old enough he would go to Warsaw University.
 In the meantime he told me that on a Monday it was his job to collect the rents from the tenants in the blocks of flats they owned. He told me that he would often go to his Grandfather who would show him how to repair and build clocks.
 When he was 18 he went to University and gained a degree in Civil Engineering. He then got married and soon after his wife became pregnant.
 All of a sudden his world and that of all the Polish people was turned upside down. Germany had invaded Poland. He told me this came out of the blue for their true enemies were not the Germans but the Russians. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment