Monday 11 August 2014

More rain

 The picture shown is of the so called Victoria plums which the tree was sold to me. Obviously they are not but almost certainly Czar. I will say this though. I like Czar plums as they are sweeter than Victoria plums, they are a little earlier too. The skins are not as bitter as Victoria plums are. This year I had about 18 plums, next year I hope for many more.

The pictures shown show just how much rain we have had. Last Friday we had an awful lot of rain and it only stopped raining just before dawn on Saturday. Sunday we had the remnants of Hurricane Bertha, although the rain was heavy and the winds almost gale force at times, the amount of rain was not as great as Friday's rain. However the culmination of two such days once more has turned my garden into a quagmire. The sad thing is we don't seem to get sufficient dry weather to lower the water table. Even today we have had a heavy shower.
 I saw the young man from next door, he could not get in as the Owners were out. I took him in my garden and we picked some raspberries, blackberries blueberries and some grapes. When we walked round to his home the Owner was there she had forgotten about the time. I showed her what I had given them, she then told me she had a bush with something on it and asked if I would go and look. I was surprised because it looked very much like a Sloe tree. I have never seen a Sloe tree such heavily laden with fruit. I told her that it could be a Damson tree so she must let them ripen. Sloes are very bitter indeed. I did take one off and it was bitter but on reflection it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be a Damson. I will be keeping a watch on the tree.
 Finally for now, the other day she gave me a marrow, incidentally it was very nice. She told me today that when I wanted another I could have one with pleasure. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment