Thursday 21 August 2014

What a noise


It was late afternoon or more realistic early evening when I heard this noise. It was the Farmer who on my neighbours request trimmed the hedge using his flailing attachment on his tractor. The trouble is that it makes an awful mess. The hedge was reduced in size by about 60cm or 2ft.
 The  mess was such that I went and asked the young man to assist me in sweeping the main up. He came out and I immediately told him to wear some protective gloves as the hedge was Hawthorn and would be very prickly.  The Owner came out a little later and the young man went to get a wheelbarrow. I started to get the trimmings in a heap so that as soon as the wheelbarrow arrived I filled it up. Although I was not so particular, the Owner was more precise getting a dustpan and brush.
 I helped after clearing my driveway and I think he took 6 wheelbarrows away I finally left them to it after about an hour tidying up.
 This morning I saw the Postman, he had a new van. HE first remarked on the weather stating that we seem to have rain every day, yesterday he told e we had 17mm of rain. We talked in general about gardening then he told me that he had saved pumpkin seeds from last year but he thought they had been cross pollinated by his marrow plants. Although the shape is of a pumpkin it looks like a marrow.
 I told him that this year in general was dreadful, even my runner beans had slowed down. He then told me that his runner beans were no better being affected by the strong winds.
 So far we have had no rain, the first time this week but we have been promised rain this evening. What is most disappointing is that is so cold for the time of year. I looked at the thermometer around 10.30am. this morning and it was just 14c. WE hope for some more warm weather before the Autumn starts. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment