Monday 18 August 2014

No real improvement

With the weather being as it is, I am struggling this year to have any real successes but with regard to cucumbers this year has been very good. It was my Postman friend who told me it was a good year for cucumbers. The two photos show a couple of fruit one is ready and is just 12" or 30cm. I have had so far picked 10 fruit off and there are 3 more ready to be picked. I have tried to show the size of the leaves, very large indeed. I could do with a little expertise my American friend has.

On Saturday morning the young man from next door brought round some more chicken manure combined with plenty of straw. It was good of him to bring the wheelbarrow full round but I did tell him that I did not need anymore of chicken manure but would love some pigeon manure sometime. He understood what I told him.                                                                         I was listening to the radio on Friday, a couple of things made me laugh. The first was the cricket commentary and the commentator suddenly remembered  that Saturday was a Blue Day. Something to Red Nose day. The commentator turned to his summariser and told him he had no clean blue shirt. On this his reaction was first to offer him to lend him a shirt, but he told him he was tall and his arms were long. The summariser's next suggestion went like this. "Surely there is a 24 hour laundry service at his Hotel" where the commentator was staying but he was reminded that he needed a blue shirt by tomorrow morning. The next suggestion was this. "Can't you give the guy a back hander to get things done quicker" The commentators reply was this. " A  back hander? I can't possibly offer anyone a back hander, I am a BBC correspondent". I just couldn't stop laughing. Eventually he told his summariser he would get up early in the morning and go shopping for a new blue shirt.                                            
The other thing was this. I think it was Jack Dee talking about when he first started to go into comedy. He said he used to go to youngsters and go through the alphabet. He said that when he got to D he asked the audience what was the difference between a dog and a deckchair. Someone spoke up and asked him what a deckchair was.  They don't know just how much fun they have missed. On the beach great fun and laughter was had watching men generally trying to erect a deckchair. I have seen some give up after failing to get the chair into the sitting position. I must admit my late Father had trouble getting it done until he finally mastered it. More soon.            
 
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment