Friday 1 August 2014

Garden

This photo shows some of the hazel nuts that are on one of my trees. I must watch out for the squirrels later in the year.
I do have a plum tree called Oullin's Golden Gage. It is not a true greengage but it tastes great. Not that I have had many off it.
 This year I had about 2 dozen flowers and about 12 fruit. I went to look at them about a week ago and thought that they would be ready within a fortnight. Today I went to check, those pesky blackbirds had eaten the lot. I can assure you that next year this will not happen.
 I think I mentioned that I bought a group of fruit trees last year. This included an apple a pear and a cherry also a plum supposedly Victoria. When I received the bare rooted trees I thought that the shape was unusual for a Victoria plum. Anyway this year it did produce some fruit, about 12 altogether. They started  to turn black. Czar plums are the first plums to be
ready and they are almost ready now. To be honest I have taken a few off and stewed them. By the way I really do like Czar plums, my late Mother used to like them also.
 My Best pal has just rung up from back home in Chesterfield, he tells me he should be down here next week so we will once more be putting the world to rights. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment