Friday 3 October 2014

Boiler service.

 This morning I was out the front block paving driveway just doing a little cleaning waiting to see if the man would be here to service my LPG. boiler.  Why was I waiting you might ask. It was like this.
 In August I received an invoice for £114 from Calor. I didn't readily recognise it so I rung up and asked them what it was for. I was informed that this was for my annual service of my boiler. I told her that this was not due until late October, she then told me she could give me a date there and then. It was for today and that she would appreciate it if I sent a cheque for the said amount before the date the service would be due. I told her I would immediately send a cheque off in the post.
 When I wrote a cheque I put a little note in with the invoice, addressed the envelope and stuck a stamp on it. Sealed the envelope and selotaped it too. I then noticed that I had left the cheque out of the envelope. I immediately steamed the stamp off the envelope wrote the address on a replacement envelope putting all the relevant things in this one stuck the stamp on and once again used selotape to make sure it was secure. The next day posted it and I thought that was that.
 About 5 days later I had a phone call from Calor, the lady informed me that they had received the invoice, the note but no cheque. I was astounded and told her why. The reason being that I had originally omitted the cheque and had to steam the stamp off so I made doubly sure that all was in the envelope. She insisted that no cheque was there so I told her I would pay, there and then by debit card. After a few minutes she told me she could not gain access to the department where I could pay but she asked if it would be alright if within 24 hours someone could contact me on this number. I said that was fine. I heard no more from them. The next day I checked my bank account and nothing had been taken. However when I checked about 4 days later I noticed that the cheque had been cashed so that is why I wondered if the man would call to do the service.
 It was the same guy from last year. He is very nice, very conscientious with his work. He took about an hour and a half to complete the service. He looks forward to seeing us again next year. Anyway he advised me to increase my service to level 2 as next year a full overhaul is recommended as the boiler is 5 years old. Level 2 covers me for all repairs on the boiler also the timer and thermostat. The big bonus is the this also includes the pump which is a big job having to drain the system, then refill and bleed the radiators. My mate had this job when my pump went about 3 years ago. At least it will save him the job of crawling on his hands and knees. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment