Monday 16 March 2015

Back on line

What a week I have had.
 As to my health, I am still struggling a little but not half as much as I have struggled with the Internet.
 My mate fitted it so that my new T.V. is connected to the Internet. Well on last Monday evening around 9.pp. pm. the info bar gave me a message saying that my internet had been disconnected. I didn't take much notice but on Tuesday morning I went to check my mail. I guess this was around 11.30am. Although the internet signal showed that I had connection when I tried to access my mailbox it stated it was not possible. There was a box stating to fix the problem so I clicked it. After what seemed an age the results came up that I had no connection. It was confirmed when I noticed that I no longer had any Internet connection.
 I did the usual things like disconnecting the apparatus and turning my router off. Giving it several minutes but no joy.
  Giving it an hour or so I decided to try once more. At the same time the young Man from next door came and asked if I wanted any help. As he wanted to get started in the garden we spent about an hour sorting things out and I let him set some shallots. Also he set a few seeds in trays.
 Around 3.00pm. I told him that he must go as I wished to get my Internet working.
 I contacted my ISP. and informed him what had happened. I also told him that I had on my screen a Webgate which had on it a place to type my username and password. I tried several times with no joy. The guy on the    other end was very helpful, immediately telling me that the site wasn't very clear and that the username was not my username and the password was also not mine. It transpired that the username was so different that in a thousand years of guessing I would not have guessed correctly. The password was the router password. He gave me both the username and password. Incidentally I made sure of the password that I wrote it down. Thank goodness I did.
 Anyway when I entered the relevant details he told me to click the connect button. The page went blank then up it came again with a message stating that no internet was getting to the router.
 He then told me he would have to do a line check which takes several minutes. About half was through he informed me that he had found a fault and it was more their end than mine. I was relieved. He then told me that Open Reach part of B.T would have to do a line check but that would take 72 hours.
 Just before 5.30pm. he called me again stating that a slot was possible for the next afternoon from 1.00pm. to 6.00pm. I readily agreed to this but then he told me there was a snag. He couldn't find the fault and it was obviously an intermittent fault but would check with a colleague. I was put on hold for about 5 minutes, when he came back he told me the sad news that it was back to the 72 hours for Open Reach to come and check the line.
 On Thursday I had another short phone call stating that Open Reach would contact me either Friday morning or Saturday morning between 9.00am. and 1.00pm. So I had to wait
 Nothing on Friday so I thought Saturday would also be a blank. I was correct, nobody came. However I was fortunate because around 12.15pm. I suddenly thought back several years ago O had s similar situation, that time it was a filter that failed. I went and luckily found a spare unused filter, swapped over the filter and went online only to find that Webgate page. This time though after I had entered the username and password(good job I saved it) clicked the connect and sure enough it confirmed that I had connection.
 I checked my mail and found a couple of messages from my ISP. How they expected me to read them without any connection I have no idea but there was a job number. I took that down then contacted my ISWP. Unfortunately I had to wait about 15 minutes before I spoke to someone from technical Services. He was surprised that I informed him that I had changed my filter and all was well so they could cancel a visit from Open Reach. I did inform him that they never showed up at all. Eh told me he would check to see that my connection was fine, he concurred that it was and he would leave a note on my page.
 Let us hope that all is well from now. Incidentally I will have to ask my mate where we can get a spare filter. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment