Tuesday 20 September 2016

Nuts

A couple of days ago I checked to see my hazelnuts only to notice that the squirrel had found them so I had to go and pick the nuts, not that I had too many this year. The lad came round and I shelled most of them for him. I have dentures that are not the best fitting so I didn't mind giving him the majority of them. I am sure he would not be able to shell the nuts without squashing them to bits.
  This morning I saw the squirrel hopping along the fence at the bottom of my garden so obviously I just collected the nuts in time.
 We have had poor weather these last few days, no sun at all and plenty of rain. Not that it has made things grow, my runner  beans have taken a rest and I don't expect to gather to many more, this morning I didn't even gather enough for a meal. I am not grumbling though because in all honesty I have done well for beans. My marrow plants had a second crop and was thrilled by how many I gathered off one plant. The other plant I managed 3 marrows, the last one being the best which I picked off the plant this morning. I have had double figures from the other plant, I guess it is 12 in all. I hope to have one for my mate who hasn't been here for several weeks. He like me has had several things to do, in his case waiting for a plasterer for a couple of weeks but last Friday he asked him if he could leave his gear there so he told him that was fine. When he rung up on Saturday he told me that this meant almost certainly he would be there this week. Let us hope it does mean that. He also goes to the dentist this week as I do, I am going tomorrow soon after 11.00am. which did mean that if he wished to get here tomorrow it was not possible.
 yesterday I saw the Postman, he gave me a letter incidentally from Calor, we discussed how things had grown this year and we both agreed that it has not been a good year for gardeners.
The letter gave me the news that Calor was no longer giving a Boiler Cover but did give me an alternative Company to contact. I thought it was funny because they are quick to send out a renewal notice. However they will honour any contract for 6 weeks. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment