Thursday 20 July 2017

To continue

With the lad coming round we had dinner then we went round to his place to see his garden. To be honest he wanted to make sure his cabbage plants were covered so that the cabbage white butterflies couldn't get to them and lay their eggs. I have found though that they manage to get in somehow.
 We went round and the first thing was to get the dead broad bean plants into the compost bin. We then did a bit of weeding of the onion sets, they look good we then managed to cover up with hoops the cabbage plants. We then went into the greenhouse, the first thing I looked at was the cabbage plants he had sown there, I immediately said to him that this was a cauliflower plant and there was a cauliflower ready. I then went to where he had the shallots drying. I showed him how to take the dried leaves off and as I had given him a couple of nets, one being small for the shallots and the other large one for the onions. I then told him to save about 5 shallots for the setting next March but the rest he could give to his carer to eat as soon as they wished.
 The next thing was to look at his tomatoes and immediately let him know that as soon as the tomatoes turned red they were ready. Last year the carers Husband had set a cherry tomato which was yellow so the lad didn't know when they were ripe enough to eat. I told him to gently squeeze them and if they were soft they were ready to eat. He was doing the same with the tomatoes this year so I told him this was not necessary. He understood
so all should be well.
 As you can see this morning I picked another 2 cucumbers off the plant, the first one I gave to the neighbours and this one will go to the carer next door. It measured just 16" or 40 cm. At least the plant will not collapse because of the weight. I will try to catch the lad as he arrives home from the bus. I do not want to wait outside because it is raining, at least it will do the gardens good especially the runner beans which they love the water, it is gradually getting less humid. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment