Friday 16 February 2018

Some more.

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, if I have I apologise.
 I had a grammar School lad work part time for me until he went to University. I used to pull his leg quite a bit and one thing was that we had a Carnival in the beginning of September just in time for the locals unable to take part because they were back at school.
 If one bough a programme for 1/- 5p to any youngsters that happen to read this blog.. There was what was called Mr. Mablethorpe and if you had the programme on you and you thought you could recognise Mr. Mablethorpe you could challenge him and if you were correct you collected £5 which was quite an amount in 1970.
 There was a fish shop almost opposite and at that time I didn't know the Proprietor. To be honest if you hadn't been in business for about 5 years the fellow businessmen expected you to move on.
 In the summer once a week he sold wet fish and if it was  a warm day he would wear a straw boater.
 I told the lad that if the fish shop guy wore his straw boater he was Mr. Mablethorpe and he should go and claim his £5. At fist he didn't believe me but after being persuasive he finally believed me.
 He kept looking for the fish man to wear his straw boater. One day he did so off he went across the road to challenge him and claim the £5 reward making sure he had a programme. Naturally he was soon back a little red faced. I asked him how he got on, all he said to me was the fish shop Proprietor told him to Pxx off. He was none too pleased with me.
 Several months later he told me he was going to see the Doctor. Naturally I was concerned as to his health so I asked him what was wrong. He told me he was getting spots. I asked him if that was all and he told me yes it was. I just told him that the Doctor would do nothing as it was a sign of growing to be an adult. He told me that he was still going to see him. My final words were you are wasting your time.
 A few days later I asked the lad if he had been to see the Doctor. He looked sheepishly at me and said he had. I asked him what he had said to him. I quote what he told me." Get out of my Surgery and stop wasting my time." I just told him it was no surprise to me. The Doctor was Scottish and was a little sharp and had no time for malingerers or time wasters which he thought the lad was.
 I just told him that in a few months they would disappear which they did. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment