Friday 2 February 2018

Disturbing

I do have 3 Sisters one who is older than I am by over 4 years the other 2 are younger, the youngest being some 7 years younger than I am, but it is the other Sister who is almost 3 years younger who is causing concern.
 She has lived in Scotland for many years previously lived in many areas including South Africa but as I said she has lived in the same area for about 20 years.
 over the years we sent Birthday cards and Christmas cards but gradually we all noticed a lack of Greeting cards, so much so that my elder Sister didn't bother to send a Birthday or christmas card but I and my youngest Sister still sent cards.
 My eldest Sister decided to ring her Daughter who lived nearby in the next Village to see what was happening. To be honest we did get a note giving the information of her Parents and daughters, she has 3. Anway when y Sister got through all my Niece would say was that they were doing fine but fiercely independent. My Sister told her not to give her a veiled comment but the truth.
 It was then that we found out what we had all believed but it was worse. My Niece told my Sister that they have helpers going to see them but often they refuse to open the door because they don't recognise them. She added that this has happened to her on several occasions.
 It must be devastating for your Mother not to recognise her own Daughter. She also added that her father was just the same so they both have Dementia. adding that she is not allowed to clean and tidy up when she does gain access. heaven alone knows what will happen to both of her parents.
 How I found out was that I keep in touch with my youngest Sister we both ring each other about once a fortnight.
 She asked me if it ran in the family. I just told her it did as my late Aunt had dementia. She then added that it was the only one. What I didn't let her know was that my Aunt who had dementia lived until she was well into her eighties and that the rest of her siblings including my Father died well before they achieved  the age of 70 in fact nearly all of them died before the age of 65.
 It was in the late 70s or early 80s when I last saw my Aunt, I used to go over to Grantham about once a week  or fortnight. This particular time we met up in Morrison's with her and her Husband. He had Parkinson's and it turned out that he told her what to do such as getting the meals ready and cooked also he told her how to dress him, with Parkinson's he had lot the use to get dressed properly. Whilst I was talking with her Husband and my Mother was talking to her Sister-in-Law she kept asking her Husband things which to me made no sense.
 When eventually we parted I just said to my Mother that she had Dementia. My Mother looked at me and told me she had not thought of that but that I was probably right.
 A few months later my Uncle had a Heart Attack and passed away. With nobody to prompt her it became obvious that she was not fit enough to live alone so went into a private Nursing Home. She was there for about 15 years gradually seeing her savings dwindle.
 I found out from my eldest Sister my Aunt's Daughter married a clever man, he was Head Teacher(the old headmaster) of the King's School in Grantham, the Sister School being The Girl's High School which the late Prime Minister attended, namely Margaret Thatcher. It was the Aunt's Daughter that gave her the information that although she was rich when she went in the Nursing Home almost all the money had gone by the time she had died. Both her and her Husband had a Dance Band and went round the surrounding areas in the 50s. 60s, and 70. Not that they needed the money for some time later her Husband left the Grammar School to build his Computer Business further in London which he had been running for several years. Obviously it paid more than a head teacher of a Grammar School.
 One never knows what is round the corner waiting. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment