Thursday 22 February 2018

T.V. Licence

This happened to my Mother around 1977. She was living alone in a terraced house with a side door.
 It was dark and I guess it was February or early March when there was a knock on the door around 8.30.pm. My Mother shouted "Who is it?" The reply was that  the man on the outside told her he was from the T.V. Licensing and he had come to check her Licence. Naturally she replied she didn't believe him. He told her he honestly was and that he would shove his identity card through the letterbox adding that there was a telephone number which she would call and he would give her his name so that the person could verify who he was. This my Mother did and it was confirmed that the man was in fact who he said. He asked her if she would let him in to see the Licence.
 As soon as he was admitted his attitude changed a little informing my Mother that she did not have a current T.V. Licence according to their records.  My Mother was indignant and insisted that she did have a current Licence so naturally he asked for proof.
 As my Mother was disabled she had difficulty in getting the file which held all of her paid bills. It was a piece of wire with a loop which the bills were threaded.
 It took a few minutes but she found it. The man was shocked and was full of apologies and told her this had never happened to him before and there would be repercussions when he got back.
 She told him also that the name on the Licence was in fact her late Husband's. He then told her not to go down that line as it would be much more complicated than it would be.
 Finally before leaving he did inform my Mother that she would NEVER be contacted again regarding a T.V. Licence.
 Finally a footnote to this is that when my Father was alive he helped me in the Season and the Cook at the time told him how to get a month's  free T.V. Licence by renewing a month later adding that they had already gained 4 months by doing it that way. A couple of years later she told my Father that the Licensing authorities had told her that she owed 6 months T.V. Licence. She had to pay up so she didn't gain anything at all. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment