Monday 23 July 2018

DUKW

With the tragic news that many had perished travelling on a lake in the USA , The transport being a DUKW.
 As those who follow my blog know that I moved down to the Coast in early 1969. Among the attractions at the seaside was a coupe of DUKW, they offered trips out to sea from the beach. At the time I though it was hazardous for the visibility of the driver was limited and they were large. Many youngsters were playing with the sand on the beach, I think they only operated for a year or two. Years later I mentioned this to another fellow businessman who had forgotten about the DUKW. There were the odd boat also giving trips at that time ubt as time passed it looks as if there are no attractions on the beach these days, I don't even know if there are donkey rides for kiddies.
 The last two days have been dreadfully hot and like many others my produce in the garden is suffering. The soil in the polytunnel is like desert sand dry and parched. I had a few peas on but the went to seed very quickly. The carrots did not germinate at all outside but I did set a few seeds in the polytunnel and they germinated well. I am giving them water each day as I am looking after 4 climbing french beans. Outside my kidney beans are doing fine as are the lads next door. I went round to see his garden on Saturday and looked at his kidney beans. I pointed out that he should tell his Carer for soon they would have enough beans for a meal. In his greenhouse his tomatoes look very good with plenty of tomatoes on but none ready yet. As for mine I am picking a few up but I did plant mine a week or so earlier then we planted his. This was mainly due to two factors. The first being that my  greenhouse has stronger glass and secondly the Beast from the East damaged his greenhouse and it is only the last month that the Carer,s Husband fitted some plastic to make it more  like a greenhouse. He is looking after his garden well. The weather does not help too much as all are crying out for water and somewhat a little cooler weather. I guess we are never satisfied.
 By the way, according to my profile this is the 1000th. post. I never thought firstly that I would live for that long and secondly I didn't think I could write so many posts. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment