Thursday 3 January 2013

Help computing

When my Sister called to see me over the New year she told me that her Daughter had applied for a cheap computer as hers is getting old and slow. I know the feeling sp well as mine is getting like that too.
 Anyway she told me that the Government had a scheme where anyone on any sort of benefit could apply for a refurbished computer for £99. Also that because most things the Government have anything to do with will be going online only so a computer is essential. For this reason they are offering the same deal to those who do not qualify. When I say the same deal, I mean the same sort of refurbished computer but the cost would be £149.
 My Sisters daughter, my Niece applied for one and I asked my Sister if all was well. Not a good idea at all. She told me that the tower had arrived but the remaining bits had not. That is  the keyboard, mouse and monitor was still to be delivered. My Niece then took a good look at the tower and was so disappointed as it was a lot older than the computer tower she already had. My Sister told me that she was returning the computer as it was not good value for money. My mate told me that she could probably pick up a higher spec. computer for around the same price.
 Typical of the Government making out they are doing folks who are not in a great financial position a big favour.
 Back to me an my computer. My mate saw the tower only, that is no keyboard and mouse or monitor in Currys and it was a better specification than mine, he also knew that mine was getting rather slow so he has bought it for me. Hopefully next week I will have it installed, by him of course as I would not be able to install a new computer.
 This morning I turned on my computer just to see if I had any mail. I noticed that it told me it could not access my mail. After several checks I noticed that my router was showing red meaning I had no connection. I then got a prompt on my monitor. I have an assist downloaded from my ISP. It is automatic if they find a fault it will just load and tell you that you have a fault. Following the instructions it told me to reset my router. I did this  but all I did have was a connection to local network only. It then asked me for my username and password. It didn't recognise that at all. However up came a telephone number so I rang it. I got a message "Trying to connect you". Soon after that I was told to hang up. I tried it again a few minutes later. I did get through but all it gave was the usual info such as going online to get the answers, the line once again went dead. Another 5 minutes went by and tried again. The phone rang on and on but no reply. I eventually  hung up. I was just about to give up when I noticed that my mail was responding and I had no unread mail. Obviously there had been some trouble with my connection from their end. Let us hope that this thing does not happen again. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment