Wednesday 2 January 2013

Lancaster Bomber

I saw this evening a bit of news on National Television that the Lancaster Bomber that has been restored at East Kirkby Heritage Centre is hoping to eventually have a licence to be able to fly. It has been allowed to taxi on the runway for quite some time.
 It has been restored by two Brothers who must be commended for their work.
 I do go by the place on my way to and from Grantham when visiting my Sisters. I have thought of passing my little knowledge of the Cobblers Corner cafe which is now closed but still standing. As you can guess it is on the sharp bend less than 100 yards fron the Heritage Centre.
 In 1947 my Parents moved house and we lived next door to a retired Policeman and his wife. They were both very nice and as was the norm in those days, he  then worked as a security guard at a local factory.
 One day he told us when he found we were going to the seaside to look out for Coblers Corner Cafe as his son and a friend went into partnership to run the cafe. This I think was during the war because he told us that the Americans were based at the nearby Airfield.
 I do believe I have mentioned this before but the old spire at Partney village was struck by lightening and his son who he called Bernard made a ship and had it fitted on the steeple and had a lightening conductor fitted. I noticed this several times and often wonder how many know this story as it is most unusual to have a ship as a weathervane on top of a church.
 Incidentally Partney is only  a few miles from the Heritage Centre.
 Now it is bypassed so it is not easy to see the weathervane. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment