Tuesday 12 February 2013

continuing

While  I was at school the Biro was introduced. the pens were about 8" long with no top mind you we still had to use the old fashioned pen and nib with the ink being in a well on your desk. it was not too long though before we were allowed first to use a fountain pen then eventually a biro pen. by now they had been mass produced and had a top to them too.
 When I came out of the Army I thought about transport and after 3 years in 1960 I purchased a van. Only a van because it was far cheaper than a car. I guess there would be around 150 loco men at Grantham and there were only 3 vehicles there most of the time. Bicycles were plentiful.
 In the late 50s the transistor radio came into it's own. before that music or anything broadcast could only be heard from a fixed wireless.
 In 1960 I purchased a reel to reel tape, or tape recorder as it was known. I bought one of the most expensive recorders around. A Ferrograph,  the popular expensive model was by Grundig but there were cheaper models around.
 the next thin was the cassette and tapes s9o that one could tape music and take it around and listen to it at ones leisure.
 It was not until Pirate Radio came into it's own that the BBC started to realise that it must do something to modernise. Hence the old Light Programme Home Service and the Third Programme  changed. The third Programme stayed generally as it was but there were new stations. Radio One with pop music and records. The only records played prior to that was Housewife's Choice, and Two Way Family Favourites. What would the youngsters do now if it was like that?
on the heels of cassettes the Video Tape Recorder came into being, after a few years C.D's and Computers also appeared. Now I can't follow the speed of progress. What I can say is this. my mate was talking to a man at the local Night School he was teaching the basics of the computer. He mentioned to my mate that he was dreading the new Windows 8 being introduced. He  hoped it would not happen. When my mate told me I did tell him that I was on the web a warning for anyone considering purchasing a new computer with Windows 8, it would be advisable to read the leaflet attached. I didn't read it as I have the said Windows 8 installed. I suppose that eventually it will be good but as I am not a youngster I do find it hard but I do persevere. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment