Friday 1 February 2013

Names

It was the last delivery of my medication by  a new Man that I thought about names.
 He was a fairly dark skinned man who was very nice. He introduced himself to me and shook my hand, his name was Ruben, he told me that he would be delivering my medication from now on. I then found out that the last guy had suddenly left stating that he couldn't carry on any longer. He thought it was domestic trouble. He then told me that it was good news to him as he lived in Mablethorpe and had travelled daily to Boston which is over 30 miles away. Let us hope that he is settled in his new job.
 regarding names, I forgot, whilst I was in the kiosk on the seafront there a man carrying a very young child, the youngster couldn't have been more that a year old and had his leg in plaster. I asked the youngster what his name was, of course knowing that he couldn't answer. I suppose the man carrying him was his Grandfather as he was getting on. He told me his name was Mustapha  I just replied "Oh my god! He's going to get his leg pulled as he gets older".The man laughed but I had a woman working for me who had severe asthma. She laughed so much that she had to receive first aid.
 Another unusual name was told to me many years ago.
 We lived on a private rented estate. these days it would be called a Housing Association but this was a Company from Nottingham that built about 300 houses in the 1930s. Although they were fairly modern, we had no electricity at all in the house, neither did the majority of houses built on the estate.
 There were quite a few Railway Drivers on the estate and one of them was this mans Brother who had an unusual name. The Drivers name was Fred, a common name but his Brother who lived on the same estate but much nearer to us was known as Seppy.  My late Father always  called him by this  name. One  day  I asked him if this was a nickname, he then told me that his name was in fact Septimus, this was because he was the eighth child born, hence Septimus. Although I have heard of many unusual names before and since but none so unusual as that man had. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. This will sound like nitpicking -- so my apologies for that in advance -- but I think Fred's brother must have been the seventh, rather than the eighth born (unless perhaps he had one sister and he was the seventh boy, making him eighth overall). Those old (Latin) names for first-born, second-born etc. began with Primus and Secundus and then went on to Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius...

    Your posts are always full of interest, D., but I was particularly intrigued by this one because there's was a Septimus in my own family tree (a 1st cousin three times removed, so it's going back a bit -- he was born in 1861, in fact). In the records that I've been able to find so far he appears as the sixth child, but I think the fact of his name reveals that he must have had an older sibling who probably died very soon after being born, as so commonly, and sadly, happened 150 years ago.

    ReplyDelete