Thursday 4 April 2013

Haircut

On Monday evening I had a phone call from a guy who worked for me many years ago. He often rings me but this time he was close at hand. He was the next day, together with his wife going to his Step-Mothers funeral.
As they live in Exeter I decided to get up early and go to have my haircut and then call at the local Butchers for some ham so that I could make them some rolls to eat and some to eat on their way home.
 I went to the Barbers and walked in, there was no sign of the hairdresser but there were people waiting, in fact there was only one seat available. Most of them seemed a miserable lot and the guy who I sat next to had several tattoos.
 As children we were taught to stay clear of people with tattoos as in general they were not of the highest standard. Old habits die hard and to be honest I am not keen on anyone having tattoos. Mind you there is probably more younger people having tattoos now than those without.
 eventually the Barber came back in. He had been across the road to the local supermarket and among other things he bought a daily paper.
 Well after a further 5 minutes or so he started. I said to the young man next to me that at least we were now making some progress. I asked him if he had been waiting long and he told me that he had  arrived there just before me. I told him that this made my life a lot easier as I followed him. I then described how a local surgery was always full and it was difficult to remember how many were waiting before me.
 He looked at me and then told me he knew me if I knew him. I obviously told him I didn't recognise him at all. However I looked closely once more and asked him if his name was xxxx. He confirmed it was.
He had worked for me but I hadn't seen him for over 15 years. He was just 16 when I last saw him so it was not surprising I didn't recognise him at all. He told me that he thought he had seen me a couple of times before and also noticed that I had solar panels on my property. I told him he should have called but he made the excuse that he didn't know if I was still there. I told him I was and he would be welcome but I don't expect him to call at all.
 We had a good talk. I told him that he wished to go into the Navy. He then said he had joined but didn't like it so joined the Army and had been in the Army for 10 years.
 Actually I really liked him and he was a very pleasant young man. He worked with a colleague of about the same age. I asked him what had happened to him. He told me he thought he was in prison. I told him I had expected him to tell me he was dead. He was that sort of young man.
 It was his turn to have his haircut and the time went by so quickly but it was nice to see him.
 Eventually I got back home with the ham, pork pie and a few bits and bobs.
  I got 6 bread rolls out and had an early dinner. Just as well for soon after I finished the door bell rung. to my dismay they didn't need anything to eat as they had gone to his Step Sister's for a meal.  they didn't stay too long as it is a long way from mine to Exeter.
 Anyway today my mate called ans so we had ham for our meal. It is good quality ham from the Butchers off the bone so nice and tasty.
 Tonight I had a call, it was from the guy who was here with his wife yesterday so at least they got home safely.
Finally my mate looked at the new installation of the door and window. I told him I was very happy with the installation. He concurred and told me it had been fitted well and was the latest argon filled double glazing. The installer had told me this but it was nice to have it confirmed by my mate. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment