Wednesday 17 April 2013

References

Having been in business for 25 or so years I had many requests for some reference for some or other staff I had employed. generally they came in the form of a questionnaire but occasionally I would have a phone call requesting information on a certain person that had worked for me. As I was a seasonal business I only employed staff on a seasonal basis. Hence so many requests for references.
 As I have mentioned it before I had several business colleagues called daily at my place where we put the world to rights as well as pull each others legs.
 Well this particular morning the telephone rang I answered it and the voice at the other end said. "This is the Ministry of Defence". Naturally I thought it was a wind up so I just said "Oh yea". The voice continued "You employed a Mr xxxx  and he gave us your name as a referee. Did you employ this man? "Oh yes".
The voice continued. "You see we are discreetly investigating him as he may have a sensitive position in the Armed Forces. Would you be willing to be interviewed?" I just said "Whatever". Back came the voice. "Would it be convenient if a Mr. xxxx from Sleaford comes to see you on x day at xx am." I just said."Please yourself" and then I hung up thinking somebody was really trying to wind me up but I was not taking the bait.
 Anyway to my surprise the day that was mentioned and at the time too this man came in and introduced himself to me. He was obviously Officer material but was far too old to be a serving Officer He asked quite a few questions regarding the young man. I guess I gave him the suitable answers as the young man did come to see me just before my lease ran out. He showed me  a card that said he was in the Intelligence Service. I never mentioned to him that I had a visitor who had investiged his past. I have never seen him since that day.
 I do wonder what the voice on the telephone thought of my attitude. It was a sort of take it or leave it.
 By the way this was in the early 1990s. I wonder if they still vett people today? More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment