Monday 22 April 2013

Skittles

This afternoon the doorbell rang, it was the Postman , I remarked that he was very late. He then explained he had broken down and had to be rescued.
 Anyway he bought a parcel, I knew what it was, some bird netting to stop, not birds but damn cats. They will come and do their business on my garden because I try to keep the soil ready for sowing my vegetable seeds.
 He also bought a couple of circulars, which is generally called junk mail. I had opted out but he told me that this must be done annually so now I get leaflets.
 One was from Kwik-E- Mart. There is a local small supermarket in Alford that is a member. The brand is Nisa.
 Well I looked through the offers and I noticed Skittles were on offer. I started to laugh as it bought back a distant memory.
 I was working at the Kiosk come cafe/shop. This would be I guess in 1996. These youngsters came in and asked me if I had any Skittles. I told them I was sorry but I had not. These youngsters would be around 10 years of age. After a few seconds thought I suggested that perhaps they could make some skittles instead of trying to buy any. With that one of the youngsters told me that Skittles were some sort of sweets.
 I thought it was about time I thought about retiring. Mind you, I still laugh about it even now.
 I wonder what those kids thought of me. No doubt they would think I was an ignorant old man.
 Anyway, I managed to get my netting fitted over the raised beds. One in particular I wished to cover was the peas. They are just up and I have lots of wood pigeons that come for an early breakfast. They arrive just a dawn is breaking and that is before 6.00am. They are now safe from their prying beaks.
 These last few days my Broccoli has come on a treat, I am thankful for that because there is nothing else around and will not be for a while yet. I have had a feed from the plants for the last few days and it looks as if I will have enough for a week or more. I then hope that my Asparagus should then soon start to grow, last year I was harvesting it by now.  More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment