Tuesday 24 February 2015

Gardening update

Several weeks ago I said that I had set some geranium seeds also some onion seeds that were about 10 years old. Now to the progress.
 I had about 16 geranium seeds and 14 germinated within a couple of weeks and I thought that this was good. However the other day I noticed another had decided to grow so now I have 15, much more than the popular seed merchants who sell them in packets of about 6 per packet so you can guess I am happy.
 I also set plenty of broad beans seeds in pots. All germinated and I have saved 6 for my mate, who I did tell him but so far has not told me whether he wants them or not. If not I will gladly plant them out. Indeed I have planted out about 3 dozen into the garden some 10 days ago. With the weather being cold they have established themselves but not grown much.
 Now to the onions. I did set about 15 seeds altogether and most did germinate which surprised me a little as I didn't expect such a high germination. However with most of the onions I grow, a few have given up so I have about 10 onions growing nicely. It is my intention to plant a few out in the greenhouse, hoping that they are jumbo onions.
 I also set some new potatoes in the polytunnel but so far nothing is showing. That also goes for the potatoes I set in pots, I guess soon though they will begin to grow.
 We have had so much rain lately that the garden is vey wet, indeed yesterday morning there were puddles of standing water all over. I did see the postman and he remarked that the ground was far too wet to get on it. I have covered a couple of raised beds with glass to protect it from more wet weather. Still the days are getting longer and next week we will be into March. Warmer weather is hopefully just around the corner. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment