Friday 17 April 2015

Most unusual.

This time of day is most unusual for me to write here but today is somewhat different.
 My Best Pal called yesterday and bought me 3 Munstead Lavender plants. He also gave me the news that the Hardstoft Pink Lavender that his Wife, Daughter and Relatives had all died. This didn't surprise me for I had taken 3 cuttings a few years earlier and it looks as if all those too have died. They were called Hardstoft because his Daughter had a Herb Garden there. Incidentally she had appeared on T.V. with the late Geoff Hamilton on the BBC gardening programme.
 I had given his Wife a couple of names of Lavender I wished, the other being Hidcote, a more delicate Lavender which I do believe Gertrude Jekyll cultivated. I had seen a few plants for sale for at least £7.99p. each but yesterday morning I received the latest offers from a Mail Order Company which incidentally has a few Garden Centres also. On one of the pages were Hi9dcote Lavender 6 for £6.99p. Needless to say I have written my order so that I can post it on Tuesday when I go to Town. I also ordered some old fashioned Daffodils called King Alfred. They are the large trumpet variety. I told my Pal and he drooled over the thought, I guess we are growing old quicker than we realise.
 We had a turn round the garden, he noticed that I had lost many plants but commented on the Polyanthus, the variety of colours and just how many I had. He told me my Broad Beans looked good and in the polytunnel my New Potatoes are coming on nicely. I have 2 sorts this year, Foremost and my usual Arran Pilot. We had a quick look in the greenhouse and I showed him my Geraniums, some that I kept in there from last year and this years that I grew from seed. They definitely look much better than the one's I bought last year. He also noticed that I had set my Tomato plants, they are small but I think they will be O.K. now that is well into April. I did show him a couple of tubs of Potatoes I set in early February. They look good but if previous years are anything to go by, the yield is not as good as the tops suggest. Still we live in hopes.
 This morning I planted out my Lavender and also potted up a few Primula Auricula plants for his Wife, I hope they take because they are a pretty Polyanthus type of border plant, the leaves being nothing like Polyanthus. They are waxy and the roots are hard to describe but the easiest way to explain is that they are like fibrous roots of a young tree. Incidentally I have had them in my garden for several years. To be honest I haven't taken particular care of them, they don't like it to be too wet. Something that they have had plenty of here. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment