Thursday 7 May 2015

Business tales

It was bought back to mind when Open Reach engineer called to fix the problem I had with the Internet connection. I told him that B.T had offered me a great deal and to be honest, had I have been near the end of my current contract I would have considered it, but I was not so I didn't bother.
 When I first went up to the Kiosk which my Best Pal recommended me to go there. Incidentally he worked as a free agent selling for a Seaside Supplier so he knew what the working practises were. I had no idea really as I had been in catering for well over 25 years.
 He came and gave the once over with the stock the seller had and told me it was fine.
 Eventually the sale went through O.K. and my Pal called to tell me what I would be needing. He noticed that I had some sand flags. The sort of small flag that kiddies stick into sand castles. He then told me that I was the only person for miles around that had any of those because the container that had them  was impounded on the Customs and Excise at the Port. He told me this was the policy that each year a certain amount of containers were not allowed because he told me that the quota had been reached that year for the imports. They of course came from the Far East, in particular China.
 Anyway he told me that I could charge 25p for each packet. I think there were 4 different flags in each packet. I told him that I would not charge that amount but 50p instead.
 I felt a little guilty as my Pal told all the other retailers what I had done. This led to a sort of agreement that from now on that would be the price and it was.
 The place where I worked was called "Windbreak ally." This was what the Sales representatives used to call it as  it was one of the best places to sell windbreaks. I certainly did sell lots of them and where we could sell most things double the cost, with windbreaks one couldn't because the cost was quite high as it was I think a 6 pole was selling at £14.99p each and I think the cost to me was about £8. I must remind those who think it was a rip off, there was plenty of pilfering or shrinkage as it was commonly known.
 There was more than one person ask if I could sell say 3 at a discount. I always refused the main reason being that I could only bring so many with me each day and generally I would sell out of them before the day was over.
 I certainly couldn't leave them in a lock up in the middle of a car park on the Seafront.
 My mate and I but mainly my mate did make the building more secure. He told me how many breeze blocks to order and he judged it to perfection. We had many hours of fun up there during the Winter months, we were fortunate because Contractors were laying a road along the centre of the car park so we had a generator a Sthill saw, I think that is how it is spelt. My mate used it and I was impressed. The workmen would come in for a mid morning drink and the Retired owner of the Company saw what we were doing and bought us a load of ties to hold the breeze blocks to the wall which was a flimsy sort of asbestos type. A good kick and a hole was made.
 My  mate also bought some steel wire rods that he fixed into the wall covering the windows at a  gap of about 10" making the place much more secure. Incidentally it was not possible to get any Insurance for the Business.
 I think there was only one attempted break in after we did all that work. We really enjoyed the winter working apart from it being so cold. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment