Friday 22 May 2015

First and last

Today I decided to empty the first of 2 tubs which I set some new potatoes in January. This was the smallest by far, not much larger than a normal bucket. Anyway I managed to harvest enough for 3 meals so I had a taste today. The first taste this year of new potatoes.
 I also had the last of my purple sprouting broccoli which I have been eating regular since late March. To be honest I set far too many plants but at least had great value for money as vegetables are a little scarce, well for me they are, although I will have a little asparagus, I will have to wait for a few weeks before I harvest a few peas and broad beans.
 While I was waiting at the check out at Lidl, one seems to spend a lot of time waiting to pay for the goods. Anyway this man turned to me and told me that he had a good idea to get rid of the weeds. He told me a young man had told him when he paid him a visit, that the way to get rid of his dandelions and other weeds was to get some white spirit, the stuff one uses to clean paint brushes. Mix it with water and put it in a spray carton and spray on the offending weeds. What he didn't tell me was how much white spirit to water the mixture should be. I do have a fair amount of glysophate that is round up already so I don't suppose I will be trying it out in the near future.
 Once again it is a Bank Holiday week end so it will be a few days before I blog again. Let us hope the weather gets a little warmer as the plants need a little warmth. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment