Tuesday 26 May 2015

Typical Holiday Weather

These are the last of the potatoes I set in tubs, to be candid, I was not over happy with the results. About 2lb or a little less than 1kg.

The top picture shows the Estima potatoes I set in March the second shows the Runner Beans that I set in pots and have been in the polytunnel.
This photo shows 3 different Aquilegia's I lost a lot of the better ones this winter. The white flowers are Osteospermum which flower all summer.
 The weather has not been great this year and this last week has been generally dull and cool. Things are not growing as they should but hopefully the weather will improve and things will catch up. There is one thing certain, we can't do anything about the weather.
 Looking in the polytunnel, I suppose that I will start to harvest my New Potatoes once I have used those I had out of the tub which I emptied today.
 I keep spraying the fruit trees to combat Apple Scab, as of now they seem to be reasonably well.
 On the other hand, green fly have started to attack my roses and plum trees. I use what an old gardener told me to use. That is washing powder, the sort you would use in an automatic washing machine. I make sure that all the power is completely dissolved. I use fairly hot water to get the results I desire, not pouring the mixture into the spray carton until it has cooled down. I am also keeping a keen eye on my broad beans as black fly appear overnight and so far they look good. It will be about 3 weeks before I start to harvest any though.
 I had an e-mail from my Brother-in -Law the other day with a link to Grantham Railway in the time I was there. Well before I was there to when the Loco closed. It was great reading about things that I had forgotten but the most fascinating thing were some of the photos. Incidentally one which the caption said was of me, with others may I add. I certainly didn't recognise myself but who was in the group photo was one of the 3 who started on the same day so I suppose it could be me.
 I certainly am getting old for I could not even remember some of the footplate men mentioned in the article and I didn't recognise any of the people photographed in a group photo taken in 2000. It must be borne in mind that I left the Railway in 1964 after 12 years on the footplate. I did recognise some of  the colleagues in a photo  taken in 1990 the group which all were named  so I  did remember all that were there including my old colleague who I was rostered with in the 50s. So much for the past but I have spent a few hours on the site and I am grateful to my Brother-in-Law for sending me the link. He is the guy who built a couple of steam engines although he was  an electrician by trade. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment